Gouldian pair, and the intelligence of gouldians.

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Australian finch
Pip
Pip

Re: Gouldian pair, and the intelligence of gouldians.

Post by Australian finch » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm

I think I will need to completely rethink my aviary and nests and wanting to let the birds have as much space as possible.
I really should have done a lot more research before I built such a big aviary with no segmentation. I didn't think about having to separate the birds into breeding pairs or separate the pairs from each other.
Feeling very sad about the lost chicks and wondering if I had put them into smaller separate cages if the outcome might have been better.
8 Gouldians.
Elvis (RHPB)and Priscilla (BHWB),
Wilma (RHPB) and Fred (RHWB),
Betty (RHPB) and Barney (OHPB),
Carmen (BHPB) and Charlie (OHPB),
1 toy poodle, Ruby (red)
1 Ragdoll Cat, Memphis (blue seal point)

Australian finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Australian finch » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm

So far Wilma and Fred have not tossed the "cuckoo" in the nest. Fred was in there this afternoon definitely feeding his 15 day old chick and it seemed like he was feeding the foster chick too.
I have my fingers crossed and I'm hoping for this to continue.
Is there anything I can do to help this to be more likely continued?
Thanks for all your help guys, it is much appreciated.
8 Gouldians.
1 toy poodle, Ruby (red)

Babs _Owner
Molting
Molting

Post by Babs _Owner » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Australian finch

Congrats Wilma and Fred are being excellent parents-fosters. =D>

Pictures of your aviary and positions of nests can help some of us troubleshoot potential problems. (Territory-privacy-one nest being too close to desired food sources, etc.)

If you wish to let them breed in privacy, removing them from the aviary for that and want to them to naturally choose their mates (which is a best option for good parents). Simply watch and see which pairs consistantly sleep closely next to each other at night - every night. That is a bonded pair. Hope that helps. :)

Australian finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Australian finch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks Babs.
Wilma and Fred's chick has literally flown the nest this morning and was sitting on the highest perch in the aviary on the opposite end to all the adult birds tonight when I came home from work. Unfortunately it was after 7pm so the light was too poor for taking photos. I wasn't out there long enough to see if Wilma or Fred went to the nest to feed the "cuckoo" chick, but I did hear him chirping.
I have a large open plan aviary (3.6 meters long x 1.8meters wide x 2.2 meters high) with native top end Australian grasses planted in the bottom and a dwarf Geraldton wax tree at one end where the main food bowl is. There are mealworms, millet seed sprays, treat sticks and water containers in different places throughout the aviary.
All the nests are positioned along the back half of the aviary facing different directions and at different heights with about half a meter between each one to give the illusion of privacy.
Is this a good setup? There doesn't appear to be any fighting or territorial displays happening regularly, except if one of the other birds land on Priscilla and Elvis nest. Then they are seen off smartly by one of the parents.
Thanking you in advance for your thoughts on how I can improve my aviary and my birds health and happiness.
8 Gouldians.
1 toy poodle, Ruby (red)

Australian finch
Pip
Pip

Post by Australian finch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 am

Addit to last post.
I have 3 bonded pairs at the moment.
Elvis and Priscilla who have claimed the nest at the end of the aviary which is lowest to the ground, They are currently feeding chicks which hatched 4 days ago.
I have Charlie and Carmen who have claimed the nest closest to Elvis and Priscilla. They tossed their chicks one day after they started chirping. They have rebuilt the nest and are mating again.
I rescued one of their chicks who I have named Cuckoo and put him in with Wilma and Fred, my other couple who have claimed the highest nest. It is in the middle of the flight run. They have successfully reared their one chick to fledgling.
I have Betty and Barney who have showed no interest in each other even through they have both changed into their "ready to breed" colours and Barney sits up in the far corner singing his heart out every day to no avail.
All up there are 6 available nests in the aviary and 3 of them are occupied.
8 Gouldians.
1 toy poodle, Ruby (red)