Is it too late?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Tage
Pip
Pip

Is it too late?

Post by Tage » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 am

My Zebra finches started to incubate 18 januari. I haven´t candled them due to my hen is nervous. She gets scared even by broccoli right now. Or she has been since she started lay eggs. Don´t want to disturb them. They still are incubating 24/7, taking turns.

When should I remowe the nest / eggs? And when is it alright for them to start over again?

Feel so sorry for them, working so hard :cry:
I have a pair of Zebra Finches, Tage and Birgitta.
In the future I would also like to have one pair of Blue-capped Cordon Bleu and one pair of Red-billed firefinch

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is it too late?

Post by Sally » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Tage Average incubation time for Zebras is 14 days. This pair has been incubating for 19 days at most, and they may not have been sitting tight at the beginning. Often, finches will be in the nest but not yet sitting tight, so actual incubation has not started. I would give it another week to see if any of the eggs hatch, and then you could toss the eggs and clean out the nest. At that time, you could let them start in again. Don't feel sorry for them, they are very happy at what they are doing. :wink:

Welcome to the forum! There's lots of good reading at www.finchinfo.com, where there are many articles on Zebra finches and breeding behavior. If you put your general location in your profile, it makes it easier for members to help you.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Is it too late?

Post by lovezebs » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Tage

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Here is some good Zebra information (click on site below).

https://www.thespruce.com/zebra-finch-b ... ics-390482

Good luck.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~