Black face won't breed

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Black face won't breed

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi again,

Well some of you may have heard that I bought a black face male zeb a little while ago.

Well I've had him with multiple females and he doesn't care anything for them. When I had him in a cage he just sat on the ground all day. Why isn't he even the littlest bit interested in them? I was really hoping to breed him and one of the females I had him with laid 6 eggs but not one of them was fertile. He usually sits by himself unless a female follows him around. Anything I can do encourage my black face to breed or should I just give up with him? Also anyone know why he just sat on the ground all day? He is reasonably fat so I think he finds it harder to fly.

Anyway if I can't breed him is there a chance I can show him?
He doesn't have a band and he has brown lacing all through his wings which would probably be a show fault. So guess there wouldn't be a lot of chance?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Black face won't breed

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Flight Feathers

Is there a chance that he's old? I have an older female society finch that has little interest in breeding, and is inactive compared to the rest.

If he's fat, he's probably not in good condition to breed. An austerity diet could help, where the eggfood is removed for around a month to allow the bird to lose weight.

On the other hand, he is likely ill if he is just fluffy. It's hard to help an ill bird without specific symptoms, though heat and rich food is useful.

Unbanded birds can be shown in old/flighted class. If you decide to show him, a show cage is recommended. He should then be cage trained so he is comfortable in the cage. Here's an article that's more in-depth: Showing Finches

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 am

Icearstorm wrote: Flight Feathers

Is there a chance that he's old? I have an older female society finch that has little interest in breeding, and is inactive compared to the rest.

If he's fat, he's probably not in good condition to breed. An austerity diet could help, where the eggfood is removed for around a month to allow the bird to lose weight.

On the other hand, he is likely ill if he is just fluffy. It's hard to help an ill bird without specific symptoms, though heat and rich food is useful.

Unbanded birds can be shown in old/flighted class. If you decide to show him, a show cage is recommended. He should then be cage trained so he is comfortable in the cage. Here's an article that's more in-depth: Showing Finches
Hi there, he was a very young bird when I bought him which was a few months ago. Definitely not an old bird. My other zeb on the other hand is always fluffy and puffed out as he is quite old. Although my old zeb still breeds.

I don't think he eats egg food but I think his tummy sticks out a little but them I'm not sure. He doesn't really fluff himself out much. he just seems uninterested in what's going around him and just sits there and that's about it.

Okay thanks for the link to the article!!

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:26 am

He is quite a large finch if that helps and he's grown a lot since I bought him.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 am

Flight Feathers maybe he does feel that it’s breeding time or something or doesn’t feel safe with the nest they have it sounds strange though for a zebra to not be interested in another female I would leave him with a female for a while then see how things get one
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Flight Feathers hi
How many months olds is he ? May be less than 9months!
Weight lost should be in the ASAP.
BTW DID you know that separated zebra males in individual cages turn to be the best breeders. Try it for three month and u will see. let him arrive to maturity without seeing any hen. Kept alone will generate the desire to procreate, and to make a flock, this also rise his testosterone level :twisted:

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you, I'll have to try that! Yes probably is under 9 months. I don't think he liked the cage I had him in too, so now he is in the aviairy. Thanks heaps!!

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Btw nice site, i have took a tour at ur pictarama club

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

haroun wrote: Btw nice site, i have took a tour at ur pictarama club
Thanks, it's just my Instagram- not sure why it comes up as pictarama club!