Zebra Finch Breeding Questions

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
iannarosee
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch Breeding Questions

Post by iannarosee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello! I have two pairs of zebra finches in the same cage. It is a fairly large cage, and they seem to be getting along quite well (the two pairs have been in the cage together for about 1 month now). I have noticed each pair has established territory, and doesn't permit the other to cross into their nesting sights, but other than that they appear to be very happy little birds. I've been watching them closely, since I have heard its recommended they are to be separated for conflict purposes.

Will they still breed and raise chicks even though they are in the same cage? Each pair is building a nest- they have been busily at work for about 2 days. I have since removed the nesting material because I read they commonly "overdue" their nests.

Also, how long after they start building will they lay eggs? I have supplied them with calcium and vitamins. I have not seen either pair mate, and was just wondering what the normal time frame looks like.

Any advice/knowledge/experience will help!
Thank you so much :)
Attachments
pair #1 (other pair not pictured)
pair #1 (other pair not pictured)

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Zebra Finch Breeding Questions

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am

How big is the cage? I have two pairs of zebra finches breeding in my aviairy and they seem to be fine but then again my aviairy is quite big for just two pairs. If your pairs seem to be fine with each other then I’m guessing they should breed fine in the same cage. There is no set time for when they will lay eggs but mine usually lay 1-3 days after building their nest. (And sometimes it can be longer depending on the birds)
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds