Unexpected egg

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Unexpected egg

Post by Uolym » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi everyone,

First time I try to breed finches. I read a lot, got infos from breeders and decided to have a go at it.

It took some time, but I finally set up my breeding flight cages, one for my Gouldian pair and one for my Star Finch pair. Both pairs have been displaying for couple weeks, but I did not provided them with nest boxes. All used to live together, so while I was setting up last details, I separated the birds in individual cardboard transport boxes, the kind they give in petshops when you buy a bird. They were in them for a little less than a hour.

What a surprise when I released the female Star Finch when I discovered she had laid an egg while being in the box. I put the egg in one of the two nest boxes I provided for the Stars. There is some dried grass and feathers in the nesting boxes, but they have not build a nest yet. Should I take out the egg or just let it there?

I am worried. Thank you in advance!
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Unexpected egg

Post by Fraza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Uolym if there was a nest provided and they have been in it together she would have laid it in their
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:27 am

Uolym

Eggs are generally good for a week after they are laid, so you've got a bit of time. Don't put the egg in the box unless the floor is fully-covered in nesting material. If you can see the bare floor, take the egg out, arrange several handfulls of grass in the box, and then put the egg back in. If the floor isn't covered, then the pair of birds will either add more nesting material, possibly covering the egg. Alternatively, the eggs could hatch on the hard floor, increasing the chance of splay-leg and other leg and foot problems.

The birds may decide to use the nestbox in a few days, or they might go for the other one. If they nest in the other one, you could try placing the egg into their chosen nest-site when they aren't inside.

Since the birds haven't settled down yet, the egg the star finch laid previously should not affect her clutch size. The egg hasn't been incubated, either, so it shouldn't show signs of development yet.

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am

Thank you both for your answer. I took the egg out of the nestbox, it was cracked and broke immediately. The Stars seem to have taken interest in the nestbox the egg used to be in, they seem to build something. :wink:

I will keep you posted if anything happen. :)
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.