New finches: questions on settling in and breeding

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

New finches: questions on settling in and breeding

Post by Birdsandstuff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:44 pm

I got a pair of zebra finches and have had them for 1 week. I do not expect them to attemp to breed any time soon, but I do hear that these birds tend to be determined to make babies. Raising a couple clutches of young sometime in the future is my goal. My question is this: how long does it usually take for new zebra finches to settle in and attempt to breed? They seem to be happy. They both are active. I haven’t really heard the male sing, except for maybe once, but I am not home 24/7. He bounces around the cage and seems enjoy perching on top of the nest basket. The female bounces around from perch to perch and makes a beeping sound. I do find them in the nest cuddling in the evenings and this is their preferred nighttime sleep spot. I have offered sections of cut hemp twine for nesting material. How long does it usually take for a new pair like this to attempt to breed? I have kept pigeons, conures, doves, and budgies in the past, but I am new to the finch scene.

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: New finches: questions on settling in and breeding

Post by lovezebs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:52 am

Birdsandstuff

Zebras will usually breed very quickly, given the right conditions.

How old are your birds? You don't want to have them breeding too young.
Plus, make sure that you have homes ready to take the upcoming babies.

What type of diet are you feeding them?
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

Post by Birdsandstuff » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:07 am

Lovezebs:

They went to building a nest about an hour after I posted this! The female did a lot of the work (I thought that that was strange. She was really excited, though!), but the male pitched in, too. Any hatchlings will most likely be kept as a group in a larger cage I have, and I will most likely limit (or actively prevent) reproduction after 1-2 clutches depending on how many babies are made. With the parents seemingly content with their nest, when could one expect to see eggs? They are currently being fed a mix of vitamin/mineral enriched seeds and grains and they have access to a calcium supplement. When raising young, they will also be offered a high-protein mash that I have used in the past for my other birds.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:10 am

Birdsandstuff if they are already making a nest I’m gonna day you will have eggs within 5 days because I’m guessing they have already bred
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3