Molting and Clutches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
jlt1960
Pip
Pip

Molting and Clutches

Post by jlt1960 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:19 am

If a Lady Gouldian pair are molting is it likely that may cause their clutches to be infertile? Also, since the beak of my hen has been dark since I got her how dark must it become to indicate she is indeed in "breeding condition?" Lastly, is it necessary to separate a bonded pair in order to give the hen a rest? If I take out the nest box she just lays eggs in food dish. I really don't want to separate them if I don't have to as they are very close to each other? But, I'm concerned she is laying too much. Thanks.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Molting and Clutches

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:00 pm

I don’t really know the answers to all your questions as I don’t have gouldians but concerning laying I would remove their food container and give them a feeder that attaches to the outside of the cage. Hope this is helpful!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Post by paul-inAZ » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 pm

No need to separate them.
Put them on what some call an 'austerity diet' which is basic seeds only with no extras. This kind of mimics the wet season/dry season food availability in the wild. That should cool the hormones down.
Should you decide to breed in a few months you can add egg food and whatever veg they are interested in.

wildbill
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch

Post by wildbill » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 am

1. just saw this and now I see your birds are molting - unfortunately this year your breeding season is finished and your birds way out of sync so any future eggs laid just toss them out. i'd also remove the nest box too.
2.see if you can get on to some vetafarm multivet tonic for your birds. its a molting tonic you add to the water. you will find when you add it to the water the birds come through the molt much quicker and cleaner and look great.
I would split the pairs for a couple of weeks as once they go into the molt deeper the interest to lay or breed will drop right off