Worried canary has abandoned nest

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Shakelly
Pip
Pip

Worried canary has abandoned nest

Post by Shakelly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:23 pm

I introduced a female canary to my male bird about 6 weeks ago. They got on well instantly and started to mate so I purchased a nest and materials and she decided to build the nest in the seed tray. I was told this was fine so left her there. She has since laid 4 eggs and I was told to remove them and replace with marbles and when she has laid her last egg to put them all back. I removed the 4th egg this morning and she then settled back onto the nest but after coming home I found the nesting material on the cage floor and I’m worried she has abandoned the nest. I tried not to bother her to much and they are in a quiet room on there own so just wondered why she done this and what can I do with these poor little eggs?

Hope someone can please answer me ASAP.

Thank you in advance.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Worried canary has abandoned nest

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Did you use fake canary eggs or actual marbles? Maybe she didn’t like the marbles? I’ve never removed my canary eggs, as am too scared of disturbing my mother canary. Has she gone back to her nest at all?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Shakelly
Pip
Pip

Post by Shakelly » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you for your reply, yes she has finally gone back to her nest so hoping she just caught it with her nails and pulled it out. I put the nest back so gonna replace the real eggs tomorrow and hopefully she stays on them.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:50 pm

Shakelly wrote: Thank you for your reply, yes she has finally gone back to her nest so hoping she just caught it with her nails and pulled it out. I put the nest back so gonna replace the real eggs tomorrow and hopefully she stays on them.
I’m glad she has gone back to her nest! I hope you get lots of strong healthy baby canaries!

Also ... Have you trimmed her nails? Perhaps they are too long?
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds