Ready for eggs?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Ready for eggs?

Post by canary3000 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 pm

I purchased a pair of breeding canaries a week ago. Before he shipped them he stated that she is in breeding mood cause she laid an egg. Which is what I want. But now she has not laid an egg. She is definitely flirting with a male. She made a big nest and he is feeding her. But she is not sitting in the nest. She's still adding touches here and there to her nest. Could it be that it will just take a bit more time til she's ready? I've had them since last Wednesday.

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Ready for eggs?

Post by Flight Feathers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 pm

canary3000 wrote: I purchased a pair of breeding canaries a week ago. Before he shipped them he stated that she is in breeding mood cause she laid an egg. Which is what I want. But now she has not laid an egg. She is definitely flirting with a male. She made a big nest and he is feeding her. But she is not sitting in the nest. She's still adding touches here and there to her nest. Could it be that it will just take a bit more time til she's ready? I've had them since last Wednesday.
My best guess is that she’s just perfecting her nest first. I think my canary hen took a while perfecting her nest before she decided to lay her first egg. Once your canary doesn’t get off her nest, that’s when there will be an egg in there.
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds