Abandoned Star Finch and my Awesome Societies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Lt. Dan
Hatchling
Hatchling

Abandoned Star Finch and my Awesome Societies

Post by Lt. Dan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Well, I finally got my very first star finch hatchling but the parents abandoned after eight days due to a sudden cold snap. It's their very first clutch and they laid three eggs. One egg never hatched, another egg got knocked out of the nest, but the third one hatched and they did really well taking care of the baby until this recent cold snap. Star finches are my favorite and this is my first season ever working with them. Needless to say, when I saw they abandoned the nest I was heart broken. Determined not to lose my very first star I went and bought some Kaytee hand feeding formula. I also grabbed two male society finches from my outside aviary and set them up in a cage indoors with a nest containing two fake eggs. I figured the societies would sit on the eggs and I could use them to brood the baby star while I took care of all the feedings. I've been hand feeding the star for a few days now and to my surprise, when I went to feed a little while ago it had a full crop. The societies actually took over and are now feeding full time. I'm still a long way from success with this baby, but I am amazed that the societies took over and started feeding.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Abandoned Star Finch and my Awesome Societies

Post by wildbird » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:13 pm

Those little Societies are great little birds! Nobody goes hungry in their nest!

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:20 am

Lt. Dan this is what society’s are for !!!! That’s why they are everyone’s favourite well mine for sure haha they brought up many chicks for me
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:08 pm

Lt. Dan Hurray for Societies! They accept one and all without question, they don't cause trouble--we could learn a lot from them! Glad they are taking care of your Star baby for you, as hand feeding is definitely a chore.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org