We've got eggs!!!!!!

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: We've got eggs!!!!!!

Post by wildbird » Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 pm

If you have liquid calcium with vitamin D3 , give one drop to the side of the beak, (Do Not force inside beak). Try to get it near the corner where the beak would normally open, but the beak should remain closed.. This way the bird will get a little of it as some will slide in. Give the one drop the first hour, then one drop the second hour, then 2 drops two hours later. Be sure the bird has access to heat, if she wants it. At least 80-85 degrees. This information was taken from the forum in previous postings: Egg Bound 8/17/17, and Egg Binding 10/10/17. They should have oyster shell available also. It seems that 10 months is too young to be laying eggs. Providing egg food every day to nonbreeding birds may encourage this. Now that she is in this situation, you could provide hard boiled, grated egg and scrape off a little bit of the tops of broccoli to mix with it. Be sure to rinse the broccoli good before use because of pesticides. Be sure to remove the hard boiled egg within a couple of hours, so it doesn't spoil. The dry, store bought egg food can stay in, as that won't spoil. Hope this helps.

Kyra
Pip
Pip

Re: We've got eggs!!!!!!

Post by Kyra » Sun May 20, 2018 2:19 am

wildbird: Thank you for the response. I did read those posts. Brought her into the house and warmed her, but I did not have liquid calcium/vitamin D.

Unfortunately, I lost her during the night. I am not sure whether she was egg bound after all. Looked at the youtube links of the same posts and could not feel an egg.

I will have to see whether cock incubates eggs on his own or abandon them.