Breeding Bengalese Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Breeding Bengalese Finches

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 am

Hello!

I gave my bengalese finches a new nest today and the males seem reasonably interested in it, and are playing with the hay etc. I’m just wondering how soon I can expect eggs? They’ve taken no interest in the nest box, so I’m wondering what kind of nests they prefer? Also how high do they like their nest? Any tips and advice on breeding bengalese finches is also much appreciated! Thanks!
~Flight Feathers Bird Home~

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Now a member of the NZFBA!

http://www.thepictaram.club/instagram/f ... thersbirds

Sheather
Proven
Proven

Re: Breeding Bengalese Finches

Post by Sheather » Tue May 01, 2018 3:44 am

They like covered basket nests with large openings but can be trained to accept anything, they'll use an open canary nest if they have no other options. Mine have always refused a wooden box unless I cut off half the front though, they like to see out and so a single little entrance hole is not appealing to them. Males build the nest exclusively. They can lay extremely quick, my hen often has an egg in the box within a day of the nest going up. They're pretty adaptable to any height.
~Dylan

~~~

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Tue May 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Pretty much give them a nest box, nesting material and they produce babies.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue May 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Sheather wrote: They like covered basket nests with large openings but can be trained to accept anything, they'll use an open canary nest if they have no other options. Mine have always refused a wooden box unless I cut off half the front though, they like to see out and so a single little entrance hole is not appealing to them. Males build the nest exclusively. They can lay extremely quick, my hen often has an egg in the box within a day of the nest going up. They're pretty adaptable to any height.
Okay thanks! The new nest is an open basket nest with straw sticking out so it must have pricked their interest. The nest box I have is quite open at the top so they should be able to see out of it quite easily. Oh wow! I’ve had my nest box in for about a week now and there is still no interest. On the other hand they seem to like the open basket nest which is odd.

14 Zebra Finches, 4 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 2 Canaries, 7 Chinese quail, 3 Bengalese Finches, 1 Turquoise Parrot, 1 Goldfinch

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

wilkifam wrote: Pretty much give them a nest box, nesting material and they produce babies.
Okay thanks! Do you just put the nest material in the nest or do you give it to them seperate ?

wilkifam
Weaning
Weaning

Post by wilkifam » Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Okay thanks! Do you just put the nest material in the nest or do you give it to them seperate ?
I do a little of both. Sometimes they pull it all out of the box, sometimes they add too it. It keeps them busy for sure.
Lori

Gouldians
Societies
Java FInches
Bourkes
Scarlets
Myers Parrot - Murphy
African Gray - Nzinga
2 GSD's - Heidi and Chiko
1 Minpin - Ted
1 Heinz 57 - Buster Brown
Chickens

Flight Feathers
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed May 02, 2018 4:36 pm

wilkifam wrote:
I do a little of both. Sometimes they pull it all out of the box, sometimes they add too it. It keeps them busy for sure.
Okay thank you! The males are full on nest building now so fingers crossed for eggs!!