Fallen Nest

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Fallen Nest

Post by canary3000 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm

As was always my fear, one of the nests fell and three tiny fifes died. I'm pretty bummed out. I do have another nest of older chicks but of course now I'm a bit paranoid. I think I will put up another nest, only more secure. Guessing it will take a couple weeks for new eggs. But I'm ok with that. I just don't want to end on a sad note for the breeding year. Anybody have similar experience and tried again?

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Re: Fallen Nest

Post by finchman » Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Oh no. :-( always sad when we lose babies. I don't have canary expertise, but with my gouldians it usually takes a couple weeks for a new clutch if something goes wrong with the first. Hope things go better for you the next go around!

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:19 pm

finchman wrote: Oh no. :-( always sad when we lose babies. I don't have canary expertise, but with my gouldians it usually takes a couple weeks for a new clutch if something goes wrong with the first. Hope things go better for you the next go around!
thank you. I may wire the nest to the cage.

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Thu May 10, 2018 3:24 pm

They probably would have had a better chance at survival, if they were a bit older. The nest must have been on the floor an hour, tops. But they are so delicate. I'll have to be more on alert with the other chicks. Maybe some wood shavings below the nest to break the fall

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 12, 2018 6:37 am

canary3000 oh no that’s sad and how was the nest attached and is it the round canary nests you use ?

With these I just add something like a screw to the back hole this way it never can fall
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Post by canary3000 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 am

I had my other nest fall just as I was reaching in to the cage. All the chicks fell out. Luckily the birds were fine. But I felt like such a clumsy dumb ass.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon May 14, 2018 10:21 am

canary3000 don’t feel dumb we have all done worse the ther week I left my cage outside with my two zebs in with eggs that were hatching anytime, later did I realise the cage food doors was open wide open, luckily they didn’t realise but I must have caught it on the chair I put it on
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed May 16, 2018 6:37 am

Fraza wrote: canary3000 don’t feel dumb we have all done worse the ther week I left my cage outside with my two zebs in with eggs that were hatching anytime, later did I realise the cage food doors was open wide open, luckily they didn’t realise but I must have caught it on the chair I put it on
you moved the box and leave it outside for a while and they were breeding!!!!
you're lucky if they don't abandoned the eggs or the male hasn't destroyed the nest #-o

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 am

haroun no I didn’t move the nest box alone I moved the whole cage with the nest box outside lol

Same with my Java’s it was really hot these past three days so I put them out on the chairs in front of the aviary

But the cage door was open on the zeb cage !!
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL