Need input/help with rare gouldian, should I breed?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Need input/help with rare gouldian, should I breed?

Post by finchman » Thu May 10, 2018 2:58 pm

I need some advice on this gouldian and figured this was the right place to come! I am super excited to have recently acquired this gouldian finch. Trying to decide if I can, or even should try to breed this bird. From what I understand, it is whats called a half-sider. What this means is (she?) is two completely different birds genetically. So, you can, in theory have a half male, half female bird if the eggs that fused (inside the mother) are one of each sex. Normally I can identify the males and females without a problem. But this bird is heavily pied, particularly on the green/yellow side. I have a lot of experience breeding gouldians, but have never bred pied birds.

I can easily see her left side is a pied,blue back, black head, purple breast female. The other side is a bit trickier. I'm guessing it has to be genetically green with yelow pied markings? Because there is some black on the face? The breast would be female coloring, unless it's is lilac breasted. Thats just deductive reasoning on my part, as I said correct me if I'm way off on the pied mutation. I've been calling it a her, because it just seems nicer than "it" and I'm sure the one side is female!

I'm hesitant to breed (her?). I'm guessing she has to be one of the rarest gouldians in the world given the raity of half siders, and her being blue/pied. That being said, I believe in allowing the birds to breed, as it is part of life and I don't want to deny them that if possible. My main concern is that perhaps pied birds being rarer are weaker? Like blues, silvers? I don't want to risk losing her or putting her through unnecessary stress. She does seem very healthy, am I just being overly cautious? Just looking for advice/input. If anyone can point me to someone with more experience with pied gouldians that would be great as well! Thank you all in advance! She also needs a name! I've been trying to think of one to suite her for a few days to no avail. Any suggestions?

I apologize for the pictures, they are less than stellar. Photography is not my strong suit! :lol:
Attachments
1.jpg
8.jpg
6.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Need input/help with rare gouldian, should I breed?

Post by Icearstorm » Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 pm

finchman

Is the bird an adult? The right side of its face looks to be juvenal plumage, though maybe that's just pied.

Since the left side is female, she could be capable of reproducing, as female birds typically only have a functioning left ovary. It may take longer for a male to bond with her due to her looks, so I'd recommend keeping the two birds away from other gouldians to increase the chances of pairing.

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Thu May 10, 2018 9:32 pm

Icearstorm, she is 2.5 years old. She is going through molt but is just about finished. The white is from the pied I think. I didn't know about the left side! That's interesting.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Fri May 11, 2018 10:07 am

finchman

Alright, that's a good age.

This article suggests that your bird is female on both sides, since a zebra finch that was female on the left and male on the right sung: Halfsider

From your other post, it looks like both sides of her beak are grey, which would mean both sides are female if she is split directly down the middle. It would be safer to breed her if both sides are female.

If gouldians are like most birds as far as reproduction goes, I'd guess that only the blue side would produce offspring.

finchman
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by finchman » Sun May 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Ok, I think I'll give it a shot once she's done with her molt!