Zebra Finch Nest Odor

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
skong
Pip
Pip

Zebra Finch Nest Odor

Post by skong » Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Hello finch owners! As mentioned previously, my two zebra finches laid 3 eggs and the babies hatched about 7 days ago. Although one of the parents killed one baby right away, the other two are doing great. I am wondering what you all do about the odor of the nest? I have a small apartment and there is no good way to clean the nest without disrupting the babies. Are there any remedies you use to mask the smell?

Thank you!

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Zebra Finch Nest Odor

Post by Icearstorm » Wed May 23, 2018 5:36 pm

skong

My birds' nests never smelled; strong smell may indicate an issue. Was the dead baby removed? If part of it was left in the nest, you can try scooping it out with a spoon.

What kind of nest is it? An enclosed and poorly-ventilated nest may smell a bit more, but it still shouldn't stink. High humidity could lead to mold growth, which would need to be addressed.

Zebra finches tend to be good parents, so quickly taking away something in the nest that is rotten or molding shouldn't cause abandonment.

Vinegar is good for removing smell, though the area will smell like pickles for several minutes after using it.