OOPS. BABY BIRDS. Advice please?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Re: OOPS. BABY BIRDS. Advice please?

Post by Trinosaur » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Icearstorm Gotcha.

Well, today one of the babies either fell out or was pushed out of the nest. I have heard that when it gets too full the parents sometimes try to make room by doing this? I'm thinking about building a nest on the bottom of the cage just out of a wooden bowl and some shredded paper towel. At least that way they can all fit.

What would you suggest?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 pm

Trinosaur

It's probably best just to stick it back in the original nest; any major change to the nest may result in abandonment. Although society finches tend to be dependable parents, they may not take to a nest in a new location. If you could put something soft under the original nest, it should reduce the chance of injury if one of the babies falls out again.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:47 am

Put it back in society’s finches have long nails and sometimes catch abit of the nest and when they jump out it can pull a thread along with the chick
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Post by Trinosaur » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:43 pm

Baby went back into the nest and hasn't fallen out since. Though every day they all get a little bigger and it won't be too much longer until they try hopping out on their own!

Thank you guys so much. This has been such an expected but fun adventure so far. You've all been so helpful.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Ur welcome and good luck upload some photos soon !!!!
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Post by Trinosaur » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 am

These babies just keep hopping out of the nest when I'm not looking! Does this mean they've reached the fledgling stage? I keep putting them back in the nest but maybe they just want to hop around now. This one is the biggest and certainly seems quite keen on getting around. I do worry about their feet on the bottom of the cage so I think I'm going to line the whole thing with paper towels rather than just one section.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 am

Trinosaur they look very small but I guess they just want to fledge lol
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:47 am

Trinosaurhi , is that chick the the old one?!, no they are not ready to fledge left more two to three days, in the first page at what age they were when u took that first pic on the june 6th . cuze from that day to today they 're only 16days old , please check the nest state cleaness :( may be that's what it pushes them to jump especially if it's hot

Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Post by Trinosaur » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:51 pm

haroun They hatched ~June 3rd. The one I'm holding in the pic was born first. I will check to make sure the nest is clean, though it has been very hot the past few days even with the AC unit running. We're in a bit of a heat wave.

I guess it doesn't help that all 3 parents try to clamber into the nest at night and it gets very crowded in there. This is why I wasn't sure if I should just remake a new nest to see if the parents will take to it. They've done a fantastic job so far! But I don't want to upset them and ruin everything...

Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Post by Trinosaur » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:37 pm

Well, I migrated the babies to a nest on the bottom of the cage because the parents just wouldn't make room for them. So far things are going fine and the parents are still doing a wonderful job caring for the babies. Especially the dad! He seems the most dedicated of the three to making sure his chicks are cared for.

I recently invested in a flight cage for the 6 of them. Their small cage is just a little too crowded and I want them to be comfortable. The babies are juuuust starting to stand on their own, so we're working on migrating them over.

My husband wants to just do it, but I am once again concerned that the parents might get too stressed out by environmental changes and not care for the babies. They've been great so far! But I hate disturbing them. Should I wait a little longer??

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:52 am

Saying that they are society’s I would move them aswell but that’s only from mine experience of mine being very dedicated
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:05 am

Trinosaur

I'd wait until the babies are weaned, especially if the parents aren't familiar with the flight cage. Society finches are fairly tolerant of crowding, so leaving them in the smaller cage for another few weeks shouldn't bother them.

Trinosaur
Pip
Pip

Post by Trinosaur » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:53 pm

Well, the babies have been fledging little by little, so I decided to take the leap and upgrade their cage. I'm so glad I did. The parents LOVE it and they immediately checked on the babies as soon as everyone migrated. So I had nothing to worry about.

Here's some update photos!

The babies:

and the new cage: