leg bands for finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
itzpatti
Pip
Pip

leg bands for finches

Post by itzpatti » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:09 pm

I have 5 society finch fledglings, doing well. I'd like to band them because they are all very similar in color and markings, with each other and also the other (5) finches in the cage. I will sell some, want to be able to tell the young from the older ones. I have just located leg bands, but have no idea how to apply them. Ideas please.Thanks

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: leg bands for finches

Post by paul-inAZ » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 pm

Unless you have some over riding reason to use closed metal bands, get split ring plastic bands. Be sure they are the correct size. Usually 2.8 or 2.9mm for societies. These come in all sorts of colors that can be used to identify finch ages and families.

You will need an applicator tool [usually supplied with the bands].
Here is but one visual guide:
http://www.efinch.com/banding2.htm
There are many others if you do a search.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: leg bands for finches

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 pm

They usually if they are split bands have a little metal or wooden piece with them and u stick the band over this opening it up and then hold the bird in your hands and then put the open band over the leg and once it is fully round slide out the metal/wooden piece and it will close around the leg, like a key ring being attached
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3