Breeding Star Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Breeding Star Finches

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:12 pm

I am looking for some breeders that have bred star finches before. I have recently acquired some stars and it turns out that I have 1 male and 3 females.
I know that stars typically pair up and stay in their pairs for the breeding period, but I seem to have 2 females that are interested in the male and I was wondering if anyone has ever bred star finches in trios? And if they were successful at it?
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Breeding Star Finches

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:29 am

Chrismurdoch3 I have never heard that they would breed in a trio. I think the extra hens would interfere and prevent them from breeding.
Marius

Chrismurdoch3
Jute Junkie
Jute Junkie

Post by Chrismurdoch3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:12 am

MariusStegmann wrote: Chrismurdoch3 I have never heard that they would breed in a trio. I think the extra hens would interfere and prevent them from breeding.
Thanks that's what I was originally thinking but thought that I'd better see if anyone else has had an experience of breeding a trio of stars.
OWLS, GOULDIANS, SOCIETIES, AND FEW ZEBRAS

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Yep I had the exact same i now have swapped one female for a Male and still struggling as the two females still want the old Male instead of the new one and I can’t get them paired up :( very frustrating

Before that I did manage to get 4 eggs from my original pair befire I got the two females but I dropped the nest

Best way to breed them is use loads of little grass nests full of hay and plant them really high up and behind other big nests in the dark areas
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3