Holy Smokes...got eggs

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Holy Smokes...got eggs

Post by GilbertandSully » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:08 pm

[album][/album]Okay. I’ve had my sweet little peepers for about a month now. After five days I let them start to free fly. They are the sweetest most well behaved little things. So fun to watch. I have a space for them on the floor as they love to hop around searching for stuff. I’ve been watching them collect stuff to put in the nesting basket and since day 1 they always sleep in there.

This afternoon I spotted two eggs. So proud of my little girl that she could get them out. And both are just the sweetest things. I hope two is all.

I’ve done a lot of research about feeding and now I’ll learn more about babies.
Attachments
D0ECDBC1-F3FA-4B7B-BB52-3A6C73D42F86.jpeg
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Holy Smokes...got eggs

Post by Fraza » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:37 am

She will be laying more than two haha and make sure she has form of calcium like oyster grit,eggshells, and egg mix with plenty of green veggies to help her have the eggs and raise the chicks

It’s very fast to lay eggs tho it usually takes 5 days after breeding to lay eggs so she may have already bred in the pet store , or was she already paired with this Male ?
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GilbertandSully » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:37 pm

There were three males and two white females in the pet store. The male that I ended up with was kinda sickly so if she mated in the pet store it wouldn’t have been him. However he’s very happy now and could be the father. She started laying 26 days after being in my home. We’re up to five eggs now.

When you say ‘egg mix’ what does that mean? I thought it was boiled egg.
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GilbertandSully » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Five eggs in six days. Fingers crossed this is the last day. I’m prepared to do ANYTHING to help them throughout this process with the babies. I guess I need to start reading through posts and start learning. [album][/album]
Attachments
0E802B6B-B1F8-4599-8D62-C0D04B6BD82A.jpeg
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Egg mix could be the dry egg food you can buy at pet stores, or it could be shredded hard boiled egg mixed with shaved broccoli tops and shredded carrot. Some people mix in the dry egg food too. Anything with the hard boiled egg in it I change out in two hours so it doesn't spoil.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm

GilbertandSully There are some really good articles on breeding at www.finchinfo.com. As others have said, the parents will need extra protein after the eggs hatch, as protein is what makes the babies grow fast. Mash a hard-boiled egg (with the shell or not), and you can add a bit of dry commercial egg food to dry it out a bit--it doesn't go bad as quickly then.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GilbertandSully » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:26 am

Thanks guys. Now have 6 eggs, goodness. Anyway. Have been mashing some boiled egg with some veggies daily for them. Small dish in cage and a dish in their play area.

They are so good so far. They only come out to eat one at a time to eat, drink and fly. Someone is always on the eggs. Once a day they are both out for a short time.

I also know I’ll need a different cage that is long instead of tall but not having any luck here in Vancouver. Suggestions?
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:57 am

Your cage should be okay for now u have got until they fledge to change the cage once they have fledged move the family over
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3