Removing nest and switching cages?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
GailC
Pip
Pip

Removing nest and switching cages?

Post by GailC » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Hello everyone. I have 5 society finches, three of which are fledglings. I'm wondering when I should remove the nest? They are pretty much spending all day out of the nest but they still go in for naps and of course, everyone sleeps in it at night.

I'm keeping the babies and will be moving everyone into a bigger cage soon. How should I go about this? Just move them all in at once or move mom & dad so babies can have some time on their own to completely wean?

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Removing nest and switching cages?

Post by Sally » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:13 pm

GailC I would move them all together, but I wouldn't make any changes till the babies are completely weaned. Be aware that if you leave any kind of nest in the cage, you may have mom or dad mating with their sons and daughters. Any time you keep parents together with offspring, once the offspring are old enough to breed (very young with Societies), you can have uncontrolled breeding, which isn't desirable. Just leave out all nests and nesting materials.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

GailC
Pip
Pip

Post by GailC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:29 am

Thank you, I'll leave them be until weaned. Babies are getting better at eating but they lose a lot of seeds still.

The new cage is arriving today so I'll have plenty of time to get it arranged perfect. I have some natural maple branches that I'm hoping to set like a natural tree with some fake greenery on it.

I won't have any nests in the new cage. If I decide to breed again, the parents will be separated.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:16 pm

GailC I’d move them into the new cage they will be fine if they have fledged,and move them all together also the chicks are likely to breed :( what’s the sex of the chicks ?
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

GailC
Pip
Pip

Post by GailC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't know the genders yet, I can't tell until they start to sing. I won't let the siblings raise any babies.

I moved them into the new cage a few minutes ago. Waited until everyone was in the nest then moved the nest in one go.
They are checking out the new digs and having a bite to eat. No one seems too upset but they are confused by the extra space.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:03 am

GailCthats good I'm sure they are happy
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3