curious Gouldian finch

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Gbrittan
Pip
Pip

curious Gouldian finch

Post by Gbrittan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:56 am

I have an aviary with 4 Gouldians, a pair of Owl Finches, and a pair of Red Headed Parrot Finches. The Parrots have babies that hatched about a week ago and one of the male Gouldians is forever checking out the nest. He's even gone so far as to hang on the outside and stick his head in to see the babies.

Mom and dad Parrot finch have chased him away several times but they are getting less protective lately ans I wondered if I need to worry about the Gouldian hurting the babies.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: curious Gouldian finch

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Gbrittan

Yes, I'd be cautious. I had society finches breeding in the same cage as the gouldians, and the male gouldian got in the society box and started pecking the nestlings. He did leave them alone once I put in another nest box.

Gbrittan
Pip
Pip

Post by Gbrittan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for the input. Ill keep an eye on him and if he continues to bother them I'll remove him. Hope he settles done, there are7 nests total in the aviary so there are plenty of other options.

Gbrittan
Pip
Pip

Post by Gbrittan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 am

All went well. Parrot Finch babies grown and gone. Now I have Owl Finch babies and a Gouldian sitting on eggs. I love watching them. :-)

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Gbrittan
Glad it went well!