Fledging

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Fledging

Post by GilbertandSully » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 pm

First baby is 18 days old second is 15 days. Is there something I should do in reconfiguration of the cage in anticipation of fledging? Will they just come out of the nest on their own? I think I should put something softer on the bottom of the cage in anticipation of them coming out. The nest opening is 30 cms above the cage bottom. I know I read fledging starts at 21 days, yes? I don’t want to move the nest to bottom of cage until they come out on there own. Any info or links specifically for fledging Zebra Finches would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
D740D47F-8B04-4597-ABD3-00E40FE2BC8E.jpeg
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Fledging

Post by Fraza » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 pm

Leave them be because they have a soft landing anyway as there wings make them glide abit even if they flutter down also
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:38 pm

Agreed. They will be fine. They may flutter quite a bit and careen around the cage, but they will get the hang of it.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

GilbertandSully
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by GilbertandSully » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:42 am

Well, the first one is out of the nest and happily on the floor of the cage. I put mommy and daddy’s favorite millet down there so they stay in the cage a bit. I leave the door of the cage open from morning til night and sometimes over night as dad sleeps on top of the cage some nights.

What should I do now? Should I put the cage on the floor? Should I keep everyone closed up in the cage?

I feel like the babies will fly out while I’m not home and get lost under the sofa or something.
Gilbert, Elmas plus two.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 am

GilbertandSully yes keep the cage closed I was gonna day the babies wonder after the parents and get lost I had one go behind my oven once I thiught it was gone but I scooped him out with the brush

Be careful and good luck
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3