Finches not creating "proper" nest?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Parsons
Pip
Pip

Finches not creating "proper" nest?

Post by Parsons » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:53 pm

It looks like my female is sitting on at least 3 eggs. She has been in the nest most of the day for the last few days.

The funny thing is that the nest is empty of nesting material. I constantly provide sisal, bermuda grass hay, and sometimes even some shed fur from my rabbit to see if that interests them. They constantly busy themselves carrying stuff in the nest and then out of the nest!

This has been happening for long before she laid eggs. Once, in trying to hope to show them what to do, I put a pile of grass hay and sisal in the nest for them. In time, that all disappeared too.

This is an older photo that shows the kind of nest they have:
Attachments
Finches.jpg
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Re: Finches not creating "proper" nest?

Post by Parsons » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Oh. I should have put this in the breeding section. Perhaps a moderator can move it to its proper place?
Have a pair of Parsons finch, female pair of canaries, pair of button quail, and pair of diamond doves. Also two large dogs, rabbit, and cornsnake.

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Post by wildbird » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 pm

They might not like the rabbit fur and they might require a different type of nesting material for the type of bird you have.

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Parsons

I'll move it to the Breeding forum for you. What kind of finch? It is unusual for them to not want to line the nest, but it does happen. How big is that nest? Finches will use a bigger nest than you would think, as they do like to fill it up.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:40 am

wildbird wrote: They might not like the rabbit fur and they might require a different type of nesting material for the type of bird you have.
They always have bermuda grass hay and sisal -- both of which are recommended for Parsons Finch. Some rabbit fur was put in the bottom of their cage just to see. I figured they'd ignore it if they weren't interested.
Last edited by Parsons on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:49 am

Sally wrote: Parsons

I'll move it to the Breeding forum for you. What kind of finch? It is unusual for them to not want to line the nest, but it does happen. How big is that nest? Finches will use a bigger nest than you would think, as they do like to fill it up.
Thank you for moving the post.

These are Parsons Finch -- I should've mentioned that. The nest in the photo is the one recommended by the person who sold the birds. When she sits in the nest, her head is lower than the entrance of the nest seen in the photo. I assumed the nest would be large enough. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Parsons are supposed to have clutches of 5-8 eggs. It seemed to me that the nest is large enough for that though I'm no expert and have not had Parsons finch before. If they would put layers of bedding in, there should still be plenty of room for a clutch that would not be in danger of falling out of the opening.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:10 am

Try a little bit of tissue and my heck pair absolute love coconut hair
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

They seem to like the tissue. I'll have to wait and see if they'll actually leave it in the nest. [-o<

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Parsons yeah I have a pair of zebs that only use tissue
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Parsons
Pip
Pip

Post by Parsons » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:01 am

UPDATE: So far, so good with the tissue. They are using it in the nest and it is staying in the nest. =D>

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:40 am

Parsons yay goodluck hopefully they lay and incubate
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL