What am I doing wrong?! Zebra finch help

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

What am I doing wrong?! Zebra finch help

Post by Birdsandstuff » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 pm

I bought a pair of zebra finches a while back and have been trying to encourage them to breed. Their first attempt resulted in their throwing each egg out of the nest the day after it was laid. We are now on the third incubation attempt. Every time they sit on eggs, there is no visible development within the eggs. I was really hoping the third time would be a charm.

I’ve switched their food to Healthy Select. It seems to be a pretty good mix Cuttle bone always available. Clean water dish always available. Cage light on all day.

These guys seem to be really trying. She is constantly on the nest. When she comes out for her break, he is on the eggs. The male is trying to add to the nest as I type this, and she is sitting tightly on her eggs.

I really wanted them to hatch a clutch,, and I thought these things were easy! What can I change and/or do?!

canary3000
Nestling
Nestling

Re: What am I doing wrong?! Zebra finch help

Post by canary3000 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:25 am

Welcome! How long has the egg you checked been incubated? I'm having a brain fart, but I think I wait about two weeks or so before I check if eggs are fertile or not.

Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

Post by Birdsandstuff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:16 pm

canary3000 wrote: Welcome! How long has the egg you checked been incubated? I'm having a brain fart, but I think I wait about two weeks or so before I check if eggs are fertile or not.
I’ve been waiting about 10-14 days to candle them. The eggs show no signs of development. I eventually remove them from the nest, and I break them open, and there is no signs of any development.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Birdsandstuff

Do you know how old your birds are? If the female is less than 9-12 months old, she might be too young to breed, and if either bird is older than 4-5 years old, they are more likely to be infertile. Is there anything that seems odd about the eggs? Some infertile hens will lay "empty" eggs with no yolks, eggs that are smaller than usual, or small clutches.

5-6 days of incubation is generally what people recommend for candling, although you may be able to check for a heartbeat after 2-3 days, provided that you have good eyesight and a bright light.

What mutations are your birds? Female black cheeked zebras also have cheek patches, and could therefore be mistaken for males, although they shouldn't sing or have other male markings.

It's generally recommended that finches only have three clutches a year, but this assumes that they would have raised chicks. Since your finches have only laid eggs, it's most likely safe to let them try one more time, although I'd give the female a week or so to replenish nutrients before breeding again.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Perhaps the cock bird is infertile. Change the cock or give him a very low fat seed diet.
Marius

CathyCraftz
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by CathyCraftz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:07 am

Sometimes pairs just are not made for each other. Or it is their first time breeding. Sometimes finches are confused about what to do with their eggs.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy

~obsessed with zebra finches~

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 am

Have u got the right diet

I feed during breeding
Mixed seed
Oyster grit
Cuttlebone
Salad
Veggies
Fresh water
Egg mix occaisoonly

Bath water to let the eggs go moist so it’s easier to hatch

Also you should wait till 21 days for it hatch because they might have started the incubation later some start when the clutch is fully laid therefore they don’t start to develop to later

Or as icestorm said they could be young
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

HillbillyFinch
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by HillbillyFinch » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

Could it be the food you are feeding? Best I remember Healthy Select is one of the lower protein seed mixes and breeding requires high protein. My societies had laid 7 eggs and 6 have hatched and they prefer Drs Foster and Smith Omega 3 finch seed which is the highest protein seeds I have found. They don't like any other brands of seed. Plus they also get Lafebers pellets. They mainly ate seeds only till the babies were born and are now feeding both to babies.