my hybrid baby

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
liqinghua
Pip
Pip

my hybrid baby

Post by liqinghua » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:37 am

the spice finch was hand-raised last year, and the society finch i bred in my cage 2 years ago. i keep these two birds in a cage , feeding them millet and egg food which i cooked in the oven for 3-4 minutes , some eggshells ,occasionally some greens. small space as it is in the cage, everything goes normal and they mated and a clutch of 5 eggs were laid. of which 2 eggs were broken laid in the tray, remaining three eggs were fertilised. one egg was tossed out of nest at sitting day 10, one was broken by me before hatch due to my impatience.
spice finch reproduction rating in my opinion , is not very hard , i once kept one pair spice finch, in a very small cage, i did see them making nest of their own with straws, and mating before me, they laid 6 eggs. unluckily they didnot sit steady. any way spice finch is not hard to breed in cages,
Attachments
society finch*spicy finch baby, day 3
society finch*spicy finch baby, day 3
spicy finch, mom
spicy finch, mom
society finch, dad
society finch, dad

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: my hybrid baby

Post by Icearstorm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:41 pm

liqinghua

Interesting. Since spice finches and societies are so closely related, I'd guess that the mutations work work similarly. If this is the case, the baby will probably be a darker chocolate base color like your spice finch and have a few pied white marks of your society finch (though it would be single-factor pied, and thus wouldn't have as much white as your society finch). There's also a good chance that it will be fertile, so be careful if breeding pure spice finches or society finches in the same enclosure.

Fernando
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by Fernando » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:04 pm

poor thing ... so sad to see cages like that.

liqinghua
Pip
Pip

Post by liqinghua » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:26 pm

you are truly right , whatever society mutation is paired with spice finch, their offsprings are just the same as spice finch with only one or 2 feathers different
i keep hardbills and softbills, including songbirds and petbirds. email me at 2754311857@qq.com . by the way , i am from china.