One for the seasoned breeders regardign the breeding season

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
The Maltese
Pip
Pip

One for the seasoned breeders regardign the breeding season

Post by The Maltese » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 am

I am having difficulty determining the best time to breed Australian finches.

I am located in the Mediterranean and so far seems like the best breedng season would September to May. Due to cold weather (the lowest we have is around 9 degrees) I have been advised to give the birds a break between December and January.

Can some of you expert guys confirm this?

In December and January to discourage breeding what diet should I feed?

Secondly, does this breeding season apply for African finches?

Thank you all in advance.

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Re: One for the seasoned breeders regardign the breeding sea

Post by haroun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:58 am

hi
i'm also in the mediterranean sea area , and yes the best period to breed exotic finch is from September to May wich coincides perfectly with their breeding season in the wild except for the daylight lenght. their season starts immediatly after the rainfall season and they stop breeding when it's to hot and feeding ressources are rare . they enter in austirity mode .
to slow down their breeding mode u cut off the eggfood and milet and replace them by the grass seeds witch i do on Summer.
i have already make an experience and put a mate on breeding mode from june , i don't see any eggs until september immedialy the first fresh nigt :shock:
i dont make a break during that laps december to january i know someone in northern France whome still breeding them even on that period when it 's to cold.

btw exceptionaly my 2018/2019 breeding season has already started and the first hatchlings are coming(8 hatchs ) cuze this year August makes an exception and is to cool than usualy

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:43 pm

http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=38045

on that link i have had fledglings on october 11th

The Maltese
Pip
Pip

Post by The Maltese » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am

Hi Haroun,

Thank you for your very very informative answer. I would appreciate some more feedback from you and i thank you in advance for your answer.

A) do African finches such as Silverbils and Cordon Bleu's have the same breeding season and Exotic finches?

B) my aviary is outdoors. Should I add light to increase 'daylight' hours?

C) my austerity mix consists of different types of millet and i add 50% canary seed during breeding. What do you suggest? What do you mean by grass seeds?

I thank you once again and hope you answer the above questions.

P.s. So far you are HERO number 1 for me in this forum :D

The Malteser

~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Shaft Tails ~ Plum Headed Finch Mutations ~ Masked Finches ~ Stars ~ Gloster Canaries ~