Zebbies Egg Laying

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Zebbies Egg Laying

Post by DunbarDinnes » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:06 pm

About two weeks ago I added a new nest box, located in a new area of my aviary. The nest was soon filled & occupied by a pair who started sleeping in it & I suspected started laying. True enough I noticed eggs appearing daily over four/five days. A couple of days ago the laying stopped and the pair have abandoned nest for a new one! Showing no interest in original and/or eggs.

I have six pairs of Zebs living harmoniously in an outdoor aviary, 12' Long, 6'Wide & 7' High. Only the one pair appear to be mating? although all are paired? Or appear to be.

I enter the aviary twice a day for breakfast & dinner, changing water & feed each time, birds are used to me in & out so I don't think they abandoned because of my intrusion?

We did have a mild storm at weekend and although the wind may have been blowing towards that nest, they had appeared perfectly happy chosing and occupying nest site. I have over twenty nest boxes in various locations too chose from.

To the point...is this common practice? How long should I leave eggs before clearing nest? Thanks

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Zebbies Egg Laying

Post by lovezebs » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:29 pm

DunbarDinnes

It's difficult to say why a pair abandons a nest with eggs.

I doubt very much that it had anything to do with you entering the aviary.

One reason could be, that it was a practice run for this pair.
Another reason, could be that they realized that the eggs were not fertile.
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

DunbarDinnes
Pip
Pip

Re: Zebbies Egg Laying

Post by DunbarDinnes » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm

Looks like you were right Elana.today in their new nest 4 chicks hatched out of 4 eggs.