weirdly small egg

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

weirdly small egg

Post by birdose » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi there!
My orange-cheeked zebra finches had another clutch a bit over a week ago, and they accidentally buried their eggs and forgot about them.

As I carefully moved the eggs to the top of the nest, I saw that one of them was really small, like half the size of the rest of the eggs. I looked this up and found that it might have been that the mother just didn't have enough calcium to make a full-sized egg.

Will this egg actually hatch or is it just a dud? Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question, but many thanks if anybody answers! :D
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: weirdly small egg

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 pm

birdose

It sounds like what they call an empty egg; just shell and albumen, but no yolk. It won't hatch without a yolk, and even if it does have one I'd expect it to be too small for the chick to form, possibly resulting in it being dead in shell.

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:54 pm

Icearstorm wrote: birdose

It sounds like what they call an empty egg; just shell and albumen, but no yolk. It won't hatch without a yolk, and even if it does have one I'd expect it to be too small for the chick to form, possibly resulting in it being dead in shell.
Interesting.. That's good to know, thanks very much for the response! :)
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird

isobea
Incubating
Incubating

Post by isobea » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:19 am

On occasion I have noticed an egg that was much smaller than the others. Usually it was the last egg laid. Even if it is infertile, you can leave it in the nest as a 'hot water bottle' for the other chicks. All my birds are in an outdoor aviary and going into the cooler season, that has often proved helpful. You should be able to candle it after several days to see if it is indeed infertile.
Iso

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 am

isobea wrote: On occasion I have noticed an egg that was much smaller than the others. Usually it was the last egg laid. Even if it is infertile, you can leave it in the nest as a 'hot water bottle' for the other chicks. All my birds are in an outdoor aviary and going into the cooler season, that has often proved helpful. You should be able to candle it after several days to see if it is indeed infertile.
Iso
Okay, thank you for the useful input! I will keep that in mind! :D

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:54 pm

birdose
Glad I could help!

sparrowsong98
Perfect Partner
Perfect Partner

Post by sparrowsong98 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:45 pm

My chickens lay smaller than normal eggs occasionally. I would assume it is normal for finches as well
I currently own:
An Australian shepherd
Many chickens
4 goats
A cat
And a bunny

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:22 pm

sparrowsong98 wrote: My chickens lay smaller than normal eggs occasionally. I would assume it is normal for finches as well
that's really interesting, and I love that you have so many interesting pets! thank you for the input!