Java Sexing Question

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Java Sexing Question

Post by Animalzoo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi, quick and probably silly question which I think I already know the answer to.....I have a pair who came from a breeder who told me they were a bonded male/female couple. After some time of having them and looking I wasn't convinced but I separated them to their own breeding cage anyway to see what would happen. I gave them a box and they have built a wonderful nest....its been a few weeks now and still no eggs. Neither of the two sing :shock: Do I have 2 females?

I have other Javas in the aviary in free flight including 2 spare unbonded males who sing. Could I just swap a male in, leaving the nest box. If they get on and bond will they carry on with the same nest or should I take it away to encourage them more then start all over again with an empty nest?

Thanks.
Sue.x

wildbird
Brooding
Brooding

Re: Java Sexing Question

Post by wildbird » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 am

If they chirp, then they are females. Only the males sing. You can try pairing one up with a male, but watch to be sure they get along. Some don't and will fight. Better to put the male in a separate cage next to the female for awhile first. Two females can become quite bonded too.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Re: Java Sexing Question

Post by Animalzoo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks. Still no eggs from this pair so very much of the feeling I have two females. I'll swap them about at the weekend and put a male in with one of them. I can divide the cage so can try this first. I'll take the nest away and once I know they are getting on I will try again. Just wasn't sure or convinced. On a positive note, I have 3 healthy chicks from my other pairing. :D
Sue.x