Breeding problems and cage sizes and perch types

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Birdsandstuff
Pip
Pip

Breeding problems and cage sizes and perch types

Post by Birdsandstuff » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:12 am

I have had my zebra finches just under a year now. I had been housing them in a small cage that measured 13xx18x16 with smooth dowel perches and a wicker nest.. I would watch them attempt to mate, but they never managed to lay fertile eggs. After learning that the cage was too small, I moved them into a 18x30x18 “flight cage.” Two natural wooden perched and one dowel perch are in the cage along with a swing. I gave them a wicker nest, and they went right to work building a nest. I never actually witnessed them mate this time. Needless to say, that clutch wasn’t successful. After removing those eggs after about a month, they’ve built a new nest, and have mated again on a natural wood perch (I witnessed the act). They have just begun laying a new clutch. I have also noticed them preening each other’s feather instead of just their own, which I believe to be a new occurrence. What are the chances I can expect these eggs to hatch, and what can I do to ensure fertility in the future?
These birds are fed a pretty good quality seed based mix, and I’ve increased cage lighting from what they had on their smaller cage (they now have one CFL bulb and one fluorescent lamp designed for plants to help mimic natural light which is unfortunately not an option). Has anyone heard of cage size or the types of perches affecting fertility? I’ve never owned finches before this.

I was told that my male is most likely a dud but I don’t want to believe it!

Pigeons were a lot easier to breed :)

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Breeding problems and cage sizes and perch types

Post by Fraza » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:52 pm

I would give them a rest for a whole month after this try then get some oyster grit, cuttlebone and then give them this as well as fresh veg every day, mine love lettuce

To increase better quality or better breeding add an ex mix , hard boiled egg mashed up

Finally put a new nest in and leave loads of nesting material with plenty more seed therefore they will feel like there’s enough things around
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Finchesareawesome!
Pip
Pip

Post by Finchesareawesome! » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:00 pm

I am also a first-time finch owner, and I research about them a lot, and I agree with Fraza. My finches love their cuttlebone and greens, except mine prefer celery, and nothing else except seed, the celery, cuttlebone, sometimes eggshell (I don't like to give them egg- it's a bit like them eating their offspring in my opinion) and wild grass seeds. They refuse to eat anything else. My point is, try a few different foods, find what they like and make sure they have loads of healthy stuff. I don't know if you are already doing this, so i'm sorry, no offence if you are, but that is my suggestion.

Finchesareawesome!
Pip
Pip

Post by Finchesareawesome! » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Also, my finches have about 7 nesting boxes for the 4 of them, all in different places. They like to choose where their nest is.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 am

Finchesareawesome!

Them eating chicken egg is similar to a human eating pork or beef or drinking milk; chickens are Galliformes, while finches are Passeriformes, which is pretty close to as unrelated as birds can get. Feeding eggs won't encourage cannibalism; cooked and mashed egg bear little resemblance to the eggs finches lay.

Egg is a great source of protein, fat, and minerals; it is one of the most balanced protein sources, containing ample amounts of all required amino acids. Finches are not herbivores, and unlike chickens, we do not know enough about their specific nutritional requirements to be sure that plant-based feeds are adequate. Insects are an option, but they contain a different amino acid profile and tend to contain high phosphorous but not much calcium.

My finches were semi-picky at first, but I've been able to get them to eat other stuff by mixing chopped/riced veggies with the ones I know they eat. If you have a specific dish you offer their favorite foods in, they will begin to associate anything in it with food, then you may be more successful getting them to eat new stuff. Now mine eat carrot and cauliflower, when they didn't touch it before. I'd like to get them to eat sweet potato as well, but it looks like it'll take a while.