Questions about Zebra Finch Mutations

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Questions about Zebra Finch Mutations

Post by birdose » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Question: We recently got an orange-cheek zebra that has patches of white feathers all over his body and his name is Wilbert, along with a "normal" female (whose name is Poppy). We got Wilbert because he looked unique, and wanted to see what the babies would look like. Judging by his feather colors, he looks like one of his parents was all white and the other was normal, but I'm no expert on zebra finch genetics..
Is it possible to guess what the babies would look like between Wilbert and Poppy? Would the babies have white splotches too or would Poppy's genetics dominate?

Another question: We have a normal male black cheek zebra finch, and we're also thinking about putting him with a white black-cheek female. Would the babies come out mixed (with white splotches sorta like Wilbert) or would the male's genes be dominant? Or what if we put him with a white orange-cheek female zebra finch?

Sorry if the amount of questions if overwhelming; thank you so much if you take the time out of your day to respond! :)
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Questions about Zebra Finch Mutations

Post by MariusStegmann » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Wilbert sounds like he is a pied. Pied is dominant and therefore there would be a good chance that the chicks would also be pied.
Marius

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:43 pm

MariusStegmann Awesome! Thank you for the reply!
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:49 am

MariusStegmann wrote: Wilbert sounds like he is a pied. Pied is dominant and therefore there would be a good chance that the chicks would also be pied.
HI Marius!
i don't aggred , but pied is Recessive not dominante in zebbies
birdose wrote: Question: We recently got an orange-cheek zebra that has patches of white feathers all over his body and his name is Wilbert, along with a "normal" female (whose name is Poppy). We got Wilbert because he looked unique, and wanted to see what the babies would look like. Judging by his feather colors, he looks like one of his parents was all white and the other was normal, but I'm no expert on zebra finch genetics..
Is it possible to guess what the babies would look like between Wilbert and Poppy? Would the babies have white splotches too or would Poppy's genetics dominate?

it depends also on poppy's hidden genetics mean hidden mutations , you can got solid pied if at least she is split for pied
pied x split for pied (/pied) = 50% pied and 50% split for pied
btw pied and solid white are very diffrent mutations
pied varies from a single white farther to fully white through sub variants saddleback and capped etc
but white is white lol :mrgreen: .
if the chicks in the nest have a pink and black patched beak you can say they will be pied , but with a solid pink beak you will be white

from finchinfo http://www.finchinfo.com/birds/finches/ ... _finch.php

Pied: (Autosomal recessive). Splotches of white feathering are present on the bird, sometimes so much so that the birds' characteristic markings are completely whited-out. Some birds are so heavily pied that they appear all-white with absolutely no markings, not even the teardrop; these birds are known as fully-pied whites. Pied can be combined with any other mutation.
White: (Autosomal recessive). Both cock and hen are completely white (no markings, not even teardrops), sometimes with some minor grey or fawn flecking on the head and back of the bird. The way to tell the difference between the sexes is by the color of the beak: cocks have the red beak, hens have the orange beak. Prolific breeders.
birdose wrote: Another question: We have a normal male black cheek zebra finch, and we're also thinking about putting him with a white black-cheek female. Would the babies come out mixed (with white splotches sorta like Wilbert) or would the male's genes be dominant? Or what if we put him with a white orange-cheek female zebra finch?

Sorry if the amount of questions if overwhelming; thank you so much if you take the time out of your day to respond! :)
i think the "white" BlackCheek(BC) hen is not a white in proper word but she is a cfw bc hen : Chestnut Flanked White BlackCheek hen and of corse without taking in consideration the other hidden mutations on both parents , u will got a bunch of BC offsprings cuze
BC male x BC hen =100% BC offsprings what ever their gender

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:56 am

very interesting from Roy Beckham web site
http://www.efinch.com/species/whitzeb.htm

http://www.efinch.com/species/piedzeb.htm

@birdose
can u upload some pics of your birds ?! we can state about their mutations

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:01 am

birdose

can u upload some pics of your birds ?! we can state about their mutations

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:30 pm

haroun wow, thank you very much for educating me on this topic! as you probably could tell, I have no background in knowing zebra finch genetics so i'm quite grateful for your reply! Thank you!

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:43 pm

haroun Ok, I will soon since i'm not at a computer rn! Sorry about that but i promise i will upload them soon!

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm

haroun

Here's Wilbert (front) and Poppy (behind) in this picture

And here's our black cheek boy in the front:

I hope these pictures are okay! Sorry they're really small.. Thank you for all your help! :)

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:19 pm

birdose u'r the welcomed
Wilbert is definitly a pied grey
For Popy she'is special i cant state from that pic she's really confusing me CFw? Lightback, or florida silver! frontal pic need
Blackcheek is ok but has he hourglass shape in thetails
The last one is fawn pied split for bb may be
Its tail's bars pic also if possible
Thanx

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:56 pm

haroun Wow, thank you so much! It's really impressive you can tell their mutations by looking at them, thank you! :-D I'll also send a front pic of Poppy later today, thanks so much!

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:47 pm

haroun

Here's some pictures of Poppy! Her chest colors are the same throughout as you see in the pictures and she is pretty plain except for her tail.

So would the babies just look like Poppy if she and Wilbert bred? Thank you for all your help! :D

birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by birdose » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:13 am

haroun

And here's the last bird you needed. He is one that was bred by us, so here are his parents included below! They look pretty common to me, but I don't know for sure. Thank you again! :D

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm

birdose wrote: haroun
[ https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/kZ20inOFomENVXcvTos01E1Vj-vquRXDsGtrtsiJ58mJo9YUaC4KpkcyjLA8NZMgOHY4=s85 ]

[ https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Dhu9gaTzAxE-PtmYShZkvXPrgkkitXJ4f5kAHaYvwdLxiquQmGExffGmVsusagiyBehf-Z4=s85 ]

[ https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/YZNYgCkhIQEdCh1S5pYspt7N9sG-mZZrFi_gnX38XegWYGjyAyn-lfZ9QsRigtNFySqzVA=s85 ]

Here's some pictures of Poppy! Her chest colors are the same throughout as you see in the pictures and she is pretty plain except for her tail.

So would the babies just look like Poppy if she and Wilbert bred? Thank you for all your help! :D
oh now i can see her ; she is definitly a fawn

without taking in the account any hidden mutations
we consider that mate are a pure Pied grey cok and a pure faw hen
the results are in theory
Pied X Fawn : grey offsprings males split for pied and split for fawn, all offsprings hens will be grey split for pied.

haroun
Incubating
Incubating

Post by haroun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm

and for this little guy he is definitely a grey may be split for orange breast (thin tear drop) witch he inherits from his father himself is looking to be grey split to OB or BB
BTW his mother is A very interesting grey ;she looks to be yellow beak cuze her beak is not orange as expected! is she in a good health conditions ? if the answer is yes so yellow beak factor is present, she is also split for BC cuze of that enlarged(thick) tear drop and the smudged chest.
try to mate her with that black-cheek u can get some nice surprises :mrgreen: