Anything Wrong with Young Orange-Cheek Zebra Runt?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
birdose
Hatchling
Hatchling

Anything Wrong with Young Orange-Cheek Zebra Runt?

Post by birdose » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm

4/4 of our baby orange-cheek zebra finches came out of the nest today! 3 of them look pretty normal, but the (probably) youngest one seems a lot lighter in color (and less feathery).

Is this an issue or is this the bird's natural color? We had a baby black-cheek zebra in one clutch that looked pretty similar to this guy, but he passed away before reaching adulthood. :( I don't want the same to happen to this little runt! Pictures of the babies and their adoptive society finch parents are down below, with Runty on the bottom right:

And here are the biological parents below:

My apologies for the pictures being so small, as I don't know how to get them bigger (these photos are from my Instagram, so it's difficult to reformat them right). But thank you so much for anyone that can help! :D
☆Orange-Cheeked Zebra Finches, Black-Cheeked Zebra Finches, and Society Finches☆

Non-finch Friends: 2 dogs, 3 English budgies, a guinea pig, a rabbit, a cockatiel, and a lovebird

vafa
Pip
Pip

Re: Anything Wrong with Young Orange-Cheek Zebra Runt?

Post by vafa » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:03 pm

i cant see the pictures at all. they are probably not loaded properly.
try again so we can help you.
i myself have lost many of the babies due to different reasons. sometimes the youngest baby chick receives the least of its mother's nutrition while she is laying the egg. so they are the weakest.
just keep a healthy diet full of vegetables and iron for them and hopefully they all grow to be healthy.