Mating of gouldians

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
shore
Pip
Pip

Mating of gouldians

Post by shore » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm

My gouldian cock was singing every day. Now he has stopped. Is this an indication that he has mated with the hen? Some other explanation? They both seem to look into the nest box but I have not seen them enter it.

paul-inAZ
3 Eggs Laid
3 Eggs Laid

Re: Mating of gouldians

Post by paul-inAZ » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Hard to guess if they've mated or if she was not responsive. Is she in breeding condition?
They typically mate in the nest box. If they did mate you will know if you see an egg in about 4 days.
Just to be safe offer some crushed eggshells as a source of calcium. She'll need it to make her egg shells.

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:56 am

The hen picks the male. If she is receptive, she sit next to the male when he is singing and shake her tail feathers in a side to side movement.
Marius

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:49 pm

I placed a pair of gouldians in a breeding cage several weeks ago. They immediately started investigating the nest box and for the last week and a half, the male has been busy constructing an elaborate nest. The hen visits the nest and sometimes has helped to arrange the nesting material. There are no eggs yet. The hen seems to be eating and drinking constantly while the male is still working on the nest. Is this normal behavior prior to egg laying? How soon should I expect to see eggs if its going to happen?

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:28 am

Normally within a week.
Marius

shore
Pip
Pip

Post by shore » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:44 pm

There are two eggs in the nest but the male is sitting on them. Has anyone experienced this?

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:30 am

Normally, there will be 6 eggs, but less is also possible. Perhaps the hen is young or there is something wrong with her egg producing parts. I have had as few as 5.
Marius