New parents

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Okies
Pip
Pip

New parents

Post by Okies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:29 am

Hi all

We bought a male and female Zebra Finch around November and love them to bits despite the males constant chirping. Anyway, I have just received a txt message from the wife saying that there is an egg in the bird seed with the female sat on it. We are now running around like headless chickens wondering what to do next.

We did buy a nesting box before Christmas with some kindly donated alpaca fleece from a friend but they just seemed to stare at it and we didn't hear a chirp all night so we took it out assuming they were terrified of it.

What do we need to do and what do we need to buy to make sure she has everything she needs?

Thanks for any help and forgive the ramblings. It's quite exciting.

Andy

Rob
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Re: New parents

Post by Rob » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:30 pm

You can get one of those wicker nests from a local pet store. Provide some nesting material as well. Raffia/burlap strands work well and are pretty cheap from a craft store. The nest box should work as well though, it may just take some time to get used to.

Okies
Pip
Pip

Post by Okies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:10 pm

The egg currently sits in the seed tray. Could we just empty the tray of seed and fill it with fibre then replace the egg?

Paul's Amazing Birds
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by Paul's Amazing Birds » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:52 am

If you would like them to raise some babies, I would just toss the 1st egg and provide a nest box and some nice soft nesting material. Egg food makes eggs so give them a high protein diet with plenty of calcium (IE: crushed egg shells)... don't get stressed and just watch what happens.
Favorite hobby is continuing to improve on a landscaped, weather protected, 500 sq ft mixed aviary with 23 fascinating species. 30 years in the making; currently have
19 different Finch species, 2 types of Doves, plus 23 Button Quail and 30 pair of clear Red Factor Canaries.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:47 pm

It depends how big the seed tray is you don’t want it too small cos it could cause problems as the chicks develops as they grow I suggest getting a nest and leaving it in there that way if the female is ready to lay she wil

Also leave bits of tissue, hay etc at the bottom of the cage as the males like to build there own nest ( I just start it off )
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Okies
Pip
Pip

Post by Okies » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:02 pm

Mixed emotions tonight.
On 31st Jan egg one was laid. We thought that would be it, but egg two came on 2nd Feb. Then on the 3rd Feb, one of the eggs went missing and tonight egg two has gone. We assume she has eaten them. Why has she done this and how can it be prevented next time?

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Okies

Since she didn't lay every day, I would assume the cause was some sort of nutrient deficiency. What's her diet?

Okies
Pip
Pip

Post by Okies » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Icearstorm wrote: Okies

Since she didn't lay every day, I would assume the cause was some sort of nutrient deficiency. What's her diet?
She was just on Finch seed food, but we have now got some egg food and cuttle fish. Before we got that they had the occasional fruit.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Post by Icearstorm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:23 pm

Okies

It would be good to add some veggies to that as well. Mine like broccoli, cauliflower, chopped carrot, kale, etc. Birds can be a bit picky at first, but most will eventually eat some vegetables. Just don't feed spinach or similar greens every day, since the oxalic acid interferes with calcium absorption.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Also add some grit in a tub it makes the eggs stronger
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Okies
Pip
Pip

Post by Okies » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:35 pm

ok, a bit of an update.

so we had two eggs that were eaten. A week later we find the female on the bottom of the cage just sat there. Turns out that egg three was egg bound. After a touch of olive oil, she got it out and in the nest. Then over two days we have 3 eggs plus the egg bound egg in the nest.

They now seem to be having a go at each other. Is this normal? Should anything be done? Also we are looking to get a bigger cage. Any suggestions?