Gouldian Finch nesting society chicks

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Devynthecatwithsocks
Pip
Pip

Gouldian Finch nesting society chicks

Post by Devynthecatwithsocks » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:03 am

We have 4 society finches 2 gouldian finches and 1 zebra finch all housed together. They all get along great (we have had some issues in the past that have gone away now) However, I have seen our female gouldian finch pop in and out of the society nest. I was concerned and kicked her out since they have chicks and I wasn't sure if she meant good or harm. Tonight I walk past the cage and the gouldians ussually dont sleep in the nest but I only saw one sleeping outside. I checked the society nest and there she is sleeping with the societys. They seemed uncomftorable, which makes sense its a small nest with 4 birds and 3 chicks sleeping in it. I kicked her out again and made sure the chicks were ok. They seemed fine which made me relieved. I am so worried about this because the societys never have succesful clutches. The last one only one made it through egghood and he died about 2 weeks later. We saw blood on him and realized that the zebra and female gouldian were popping in and out of the nest. I ma not sure which one mightve done it but it just raises concern. Th only boys in the cage is one of the gouldians, which is very shy, and the society papa. I guess my question is should I be concerned or is she just trying to help? She has never slept in the nest with the societys before at all and only my zebra has but stopped after the eggs were layed. The gouldians have never breeded simply because the female rejects the make everytime.....its been since the summer of 18.....Anyway she has layed some eggs before that the societys adopted and the gouldians started to care for only to realize they were unfertile. So I know she has a motherly side to her but im just not sure.

Icearstorm
Weaning
Weaning

Re: Gouldian Finch nesting society chicks

Post by Icearstorm » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Devynthecatwithsocks

That's definitely concerning. I had to temporarily remove my pair of gouldians the last time my societies nested in the mixed-species flight, as the male gouldian got in the societies' nest and started pecking their babies. I don't like to think what would have happened otherwise.