Female died on the nest - what do I do?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Female died on the nest - what do I do?

Post by Uolym » Mon May 06, 2019 7:57 am

I have an emergency and Im unsure what should I do. I found my female Society Finch dead in her nest box this morning. I took her out. She had been secretive the past few days, never coming out of the nest box when I was feeding them. But she always was a good parent and nester and didn't saw anything out of the ordinary, especially since I saw her moving inside the nest box.

Turns out she seems to have died of egg binding. :(

Main emergency : The male is still incubating. The pair had 5 eggs of their own + 2 Star finch. Should I let the male nests alone or will it be too stressful for him?

Second question : Its the first time I had an egg binding case and Im unsure what caused it. My breeding brids have access the seeds, egg food, insect food, fresh food (spinach, cucumber and other vegetables and leaves), mineral block, cuttlefish bone, crushed eggshells + coal. They have full spectrum light + some natural light, they are in a quiet room. They have flying space and I keep the flight cage clean. What could be the issue?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Female died on the nest - what do I do?

Post by Fraza » Mon May 06, 2019 10:54 am

Uolym the male will be fine raising by hiself he’s not had to lay the eggs either so it shouldn’t be to much stress

And egg binding can be caused by having to many clutches, or it can be one egg just got stuck in an awkward position things happen and I’m sorry for your loss

On the bright side hopefully one of the chicks looks the same as her
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Uolym
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Uolym » Mon May 06, 2019 10:57 am

Thank you very much for your kind words and advices, I am quite sad about the whole thing.
Currently caring for two Javan, two Gouldian, two Society, two Star, two Cutthroath, three canaries... One Siamese Fighting Fish and about sixty-ish plants around the house.

Previously kept cockatiels, budgies and one lovely Barred Parakeet, plus small mammals and fish since I was a kid.

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Uolym no problem it is sad the first time it happens
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

queenb
Nestling
Nestling

Post by queenb » Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Sounds like the hen had access to all that is necessary nutrition wise. Was it unseasonably cold? Damp? Those are the only things other than what was already said, that might be contributors.

I would love to know how the male does!
My flock of characters; 9-Strawberry waxbills, 2 Collared Warblings, 3 diamond firetails, 1 green singers, 1 sea-green parrot finches

catherlee
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by catherlee » Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 pm

So so sorry for your loss!
Pair of red-head Gouldians, male canary, blue poison dart frog, orchids, goldfish, clownfish, and a brindle greyhound.

Devilsrush76
Pip
Pip

Post by Devilsrush76 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am

So sorry for your loss.