Zebra x Diamond Firetail Hybrid Baby

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Zebra x Diamond Firetail Hybrid Baby

Post by Animalzoo » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 am

Look what I got!!

I've a pair of white Zebras and a classic Diamon Firetail male. The Zebra hen fell in love with the Firetail and I noticed her following him everywhere the male Zebra didn't have a look in. The Firetail was nest building and between the him and Zebra hen eggs appeared! I thought naaaaah, surely they couldn't!?

Interestingly, there wasn't any aggression towards the male Zebra and on the odd occasion I saw him incubating too. So a love triangle it seems. 4 chicks hatched and its only as they've fledged I've seen what I got.

1 x fawn normal zebra
1 x Grey hybrid Zebra Firetail
1 x possible hybrid. Also Grey, its' not got the red on its tail but then again its not got many white lines on its tail either.
1 x possibly the same as above but not out the nest yet so can't see clearly.

I don't know the history of the Zebras to know what colours are in their genes but wasn't expecting a fawn. Mum Zebra obviously has been impregnated by both males and laid a variety of eggs. Either way what a rare situation. I've since added a Diamond Firetail hen so he shouldn't do this again!

I've not really got any questions. What I've read on the matter indicates the hybrids could be fertile? Not that I plan to breed them and I certainly won't let these go. These are all for meeeeeee :D

Here's picts of the baby with the red tail.
Attachments
With Dad in the foreground
With Dad in the foreground
With a normal Zebra in front for comparison.
With a normal Zebra in front for comparison.
Baby with red on it's back/tail
Baby with red on it's back/tail
Sue.x

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Re: Zebra x Diamond Firetail Hybrid Baby

Post by Fraza » Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 pm

Animalzoo very interesting and it will be good if it’s a boy so when it’s older it’s song would be amazing

And if one from a clutch is a hybrid they are most likely all
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Hybrid cherry x Bengalese
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=fraser% ... de101&sm=3

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 am

All the chicks are out now. Last two don’t have red on their back or tails and do have the eye droplet. They appear to look more like a normal Zebra but their tail bars are less. You may be right but the fawn baby looks perfectly Zebra. That’s what made me think both males have fertilized her.

Not sure but can’t wait for them to feather up and to see what genders they are. Already the one with red on it’s back makes a different cry than the others. That one is much more verbal and although I’m not totally sure, it does appear slightly larger than the others already.

It’s so much fun. Wasn’t expecting or planning this at all. I know some people are against hybrids but to me it’s life! Life finds a way. I’ve more photos but can’t work out how to upload from my mobile. I’ll see what I can do......
Sue.x

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sat May 18, 2019 8:19 am

Animalzoo that's interesting and ano some people are against it but I've just had a bengalease and java hybrid you can't stop it happening without making them unhappy and it's also hard not to be exited because they come out different to others
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

My favourite is COCO my grey pearl society cock been here since the start my flock leader

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Maleficum
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Maleficum » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 am

So exiting to see how they look when fully grown!
I also have had love triangles with my birds (but of the same species every time), with zebras I had two female nesting together and one (or both) of them bred with a male and got fertilized eggs.

I also had ringneck doves where one male and two females raised two babies (it was another females eggs but she chased away and attacked so I had to re home her). So I had three birds raising two chicks but only one of them was a biological parent!
Deviantart <-- Drawings, Photos, Porcelain painting.

Instagram <-- Follow my blind rabbit on Instagram.

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 am

Fraza I’d love to see pics of the Bengalese x Java hybrid. Java’s are so much bigger. It’s amazing they manage!

I also have Java’s but have kept them separated from the others. They are bullies lol

Am enjoying them too. Have all the colour mutations and love their song. So exotic.

No, no more hybrids hopefully. I’ll be removing the nests from the aviary. I don’t like colony breeding tbh, I don’t fee in control enough. Also, don’t want to end up with millions of Zebras!! Beep beep beep! Been there, done that #-o
Sue.x

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm

Animalzoo haha yep I know what u mean I feel like all I can hear is squeaking zebra chicks

And I will upload a photo later
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Thu May 23, 2019 1:53 am

Fraza I’m gutted!!!! :(

The male Diamond died along with his hybrid chick. Out of the blue within 24 hours of showing any signs of problems. Fluffed u on the floor. The male was very very thin but other than that no signs of injury or problem. Only other symptom was a frothy mouth.

Other three chicks bouncing around great as are the white zebra parents. All three other chicks show normal zebra markings. No red on them. Can’t believe it. :cry:
Sue.x

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Thu May 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Animalzoo omg no way I wonder what happened have they had anything new added to their diet that maybe only the Firetail was eating
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Fri May 24, 2019 3:25 am

Animalzoo Sue, if the diamond Firetail male was very thin, he was probably suffering from coccidiocis. Then the male would have transfered it to the baby through the feeding process
Marius

Animalzoo
Wonder Wooer
Wonder Wooer

Post by Animalzoo » Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am

MariusStegmann Thanks for the heads up. I've also lost a canary in the same aviary out of the blue and upon a quick Google see the disease can spread. I want to treat the lot pronto! Please can you offer some advice on a product on the market I can buy and best practices in the aviary i.e, less of one type of food or more of another. Anything natural that helps for example or cleaning regimes etc.

My Firetail was a favorite however I've others in there I really wouldn't want to loose as well. Something is going on in there. Sorry to redirect this post.

@Fraza Nothing new was added, just usual day to day etc. Just really worried about coccidiocis now.
Sue.x

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Mon May 27, 2019 11:06 am

In South Africa where I stay, there are quite a few products available to use for cocci. You would probably have to get different ones. I currently use esb3 and consumix together. I also have triplesulpha, medicox and furazol that I have used for coccidiocis treatments.
Marius

Fraza
Molting
Molting

Post by Fraza » Tue May 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Animalzoo it’s such a shame and hope you manage to solve it and treat all the birds
FINCHES I HAVE
Bengalese
zebras
Java sparrows
Silver bills
java x beng hybrid

PETS IVE HAD
dogs
Fish
Cocktiel
Doves
Stars
Heck’s
Canary’s

YOUTUBE CHANNEL