Star Finch Problem

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Star Finch Problem

Post by Dbearden » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 pm

I noticed my Star is fluffed up and sitting alone close to lamp, bobbing tail up and down. I removed to a hospital cage and supplemented tge water with Ronivet 12% and Amytle, and also rubbed Olive Oil on vent in case of being egg bound. However, I’m not sure it is definitely a female because both of my birds sing. This one has a red face, and the other orange. It seems it face and especially the beak have gotten more red over the past days.
It is not really active today, just sitting on perch. Help!

lovezebs
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Re: Star Finch Problem

Post by lovezebs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Dbearden

Sorry to hear that one of your Stars is sick.

Regrettably it's impossible to diagnose a bird sight unseen on line . If you are able to get to an Avian Vet, they may be able to offer some help, although most have little knowledge of Finches.

Offering a warm l light, a quiet space, and nutritious food is very important.

Regarding sexing your Stars....
Orange or Red head is not an indication of sex. Here are 2 pictures to show you the difference...

Female on the right, male on the left.
Attachments
1438919679361_1.jpg
~Elana~

Linnies~ Canaries ~ Zebras ~ Societies ~ Gouldians ~ Orange Cheeks ~ Shaft Tails ~ Strawberries ~ Red Cheek Cordon Bleu ~ Goldbreasts ~ Red Brows ~ Owls ~ Budgies ~ Diamond Firetails ~ Javas ~ Forbes Parrot Finches ~

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Dbearden

You've already gotten good advice from lovezebs. It is normal to try to find out health advice, but as Elana said, it is very difficult to diagnose over the internet. Even vets have a hard time diagnosing finches by sight alone--they usually have to draw blood samples or look at poop samples with a microscope.

Male Stars will have the face mask that extends past/behind the eye, while females will have a mask that doesn't go past the eye.
3 Purple Grenadiers, 1 Goldbreast + 1 cat.

National Finch & Softbill Society - http://www.nfss.org

Dbearden
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Dbearden » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Thank you!
I took her to the bird store and the owner checked her and seemed sure she wasn’t egg bound. Seemed to think she had some type of bacteria sickness.
I’ve been keeping her warm, started giving Ronivet and Trimethoprim Sulfa Powder mixed together. Also put a little Neosporin on her vent.
Happy to report she seems to be improving!!
Not nearly as fluffed up and not bobbing her tail as much.
Thanks for the tips!

MariusStegmann
Weaning
Weaning

Post by MariusStegmann » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:21 am

The mask of starfinch hens don't extend to under the beak. Does she have meat on the breastbone? You should not be able to feel the breastbone. Ie breastbone should not feel sharp.
Marius