Slow to wean?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Icewolf
Pip
Pip

Slow to wean?

Post by Icewolf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:40 pm

I'm taking care of three zebra finches that were abandonned by their parents. Hatch dates were around Nov 26-28th, and I've read they should be at least starting to wean by now, but no such luck.
I'm really pressed because I've got a place trip scheduled for mid-January and I can't take them with me.

I've got fresh water in a shallow dish available at all times. Also egg food, dry handfeeding mix, seeds and spray millet. An adult society finch is also in the cage with them (was kinda hoping he'd show them what to do). The babies get along with the adult, but don't seem to beg him at all... they ignore him and just beg from me. I've put them in a room where no one really goes except to check on them.

Since a few days I've cut back to feeding them about half of what I used to and only 4 times a day (breakfast, lunch, supper and 'midnight snack'). They seem to be doing just fine as it stands, but their crops are empty unless I feed them. And I don't see them picking at the food either.

I really don't know what to do anymore. If only they'd beg the society... maybe he'd feed them since he seems to like them enough, but they totally ignore him in that respect.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is 30 days too early to expect them to start weaning? Should I give them 'tough love' and trust that they'll eat on their own, since they've surely seen the adult do it and they should figure it out if they get hungry enough?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:08 pm

It sounds like you have done everything by the book. They can be persistent little things. And yes, Ma & Pa Finch definitely practice "tough love"! You will have to do the same cause at four weeks they should be eating on their own. I would reduce the feedings even further. See how they do and go from there.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:58 am

30 days should be well past weanable stage.my javas are weaned and eating by that time

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:39 am

well I'm a total noob to finches so take this with a big grain of salt, but I'd probably try showing them the other foods. Like when they're begging from you go and stick your fingers in some of their food dishes, maybe see if they'll eat some of the food from their dishes out of your hand? clearly they think of you as dad so it doesn't really make sense to me that they'd take the advice of the other finch, they probably think he's a weirdo b/c he doesn't look like you :)

Icewolf
Pip
Pip

Post by Icewolf » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:29 pm

I think I'll just put them in the flight cage along with their real parents. Maybe they'll be more motivated to follow the example of finches that look and sound like them.

For the record, I've tried showing them where the food is, but they don't seem to care. I think I'll throw some apple slices in the flight cage today and maybe they'll like that better than seed.

Do any of you honestly think they'll starve though? I still don't know whether they're not eating on their own because it's more fun to be handfed, or because they just don't seem to make the connection between 'food dish' and 'not hungry anymore'?

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:59 pm

I didn't realize you had the parents still. Placing them in the flight with the other Zebras may very well solve your problem. I would keep an eye on them to see if they eat but wouldn't feed them unless they show absolutely no interest in the other birds and what they are eating. They can't go long without food/water so if they should become listless in the next day or so you will know they aren't eating enough.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Icewolf
Pip
Pip

Post by Icewolf » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:21 pm

Update:

They're still ignoring the other birds except to sit next to them, but they started begging from a toy, so I took that out. No sense letting them waste precious calories trying to get a budgie toy to feed them, eh?

Two of them seem to be OK. Empty crops, but they're beeping and flying around and don't seem much worse for wear.

I found one of them shivering on the cage floor though. I picked it up and checked the crop-- empty. It was just crying pitifully so I took it out and fed it a tiny bit (it begged a bit, but not much.. too weak, maybe?). I put it alone in their baby cage with a heat lamp over him since his feathers are on-end.

Why is this so bloody difficult?! My starling weaned herself, and likewise for the sparrow I raised.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:29 pm

I have never hand reared so I can't speak from experience. But from what I've heard and read, your situation isn't very common. Normally fledglings are curious and eager to explore their surroundings. I suppose you could continue with the feedings and hope they figure it out soon. Perhaps feed them once or twice a day. Just enough to sustain them but not satisfy them. From what I recall, Ma Zebra would force the fledglings to eat on their own once they left the nest. Pa Zebra was more likely to continue feeding for a week or so. Then he too would ignore their begging. I never lost a chick because it refused to feed itself.
TammieB.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:22 am

I also haven't had to handraise, but I've read that it takes longer to wean the chicks. I've seen a couple of suggestions, though. One is to cut back the number of feedings per day (for example, instead of 4x do 3x then 2x). Another is to put millet seed in the palm of your hand and poke it with your finger until they come over to investigate and peck at it themselves. I've also read that soaked seed sometimes does the trick. Good luck!

Hilary

Icewolf
Pip
Pip

Post by Icewolf » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:38 am

Update:

The society is feeding them now. I'll let him worry about taking care of them from now on.

Thanks for your help, all!

PS-- the one on the floor is doing OK now. Yay!

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:35 am

Yea! Gotta love societies!! Glad they've got a new provider!

Hilary

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:17 am

lol that's great that one of the birds stepped up to the plate for you :lol: Hopefully the society will convince them to start eating on their own :)

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:50 pm

Societies are wonderful birds. But even their patience wears out and eventually he'll stop feeding them and they'll be on their own. By then, they should be independent though.

Now you can go on your trip without worry. Just be sure to leave them plenty of seed! :)
TammieB.