Is this normal???

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Is this normal???

Post by newfinchmom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 pm

I gave my society and bleu a little covered nest for Christmas and they have sure taken to it. In fact. . .they hardly ever come out anymore. The society finch has stopped making that cricket sound and now only makes a pissy sound that sounds like the buzz of a bee. They come out long enough to eat something and both go back in. Do they think they can mate?? That would be one ugly baby bird if they did. I hate to take the nest away because they love it so, but I'm a little worried that they hardly ever move around.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:12 pm

Oh those societies! It's nothing to see six or seven of them piled into one of those little nests.I imagine the cb is enjoying it as well. I see no harm in allowing them to have it. Just keep an eye out for any mating behavior and yank the nest if they get any ideas. ;)
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:28 pm

Can a society and bleu mate and actually have babies?? OMG. . . how frightening for those kids. My bleu is sweet and adorable and my society is full of attitude.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Societies have been known to breed with several species. but I can't say they can/will with CB's. In any case it shouldn't be encouraged as it dilutes the gene pool of both.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

TammyS
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by TammyS » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:02 pm

Have you checked the nest for any eggs? Even if you have two females, they can and will still lay eggs (especially the Society finch). That would explain why they are so diligent about staying in the nest. If there are any eggs in the nest, I would just toss them.

newfinchmom
Nestling
Nestling

Post by newfinchmom » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:30 pm

I would like to toss the, but the birds won't let me get to them. The bleu refuses to leave the nest, even when I completely pick it up and remove it from the cage. The society started to dive bomb me as I pulled it out of the cage. I don't want to hurt them or give them a heart attack, but I want to get the eggs out.

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:52 am

Hey, who's bigger... you or them birds? :D
TammieB.