They have arrived!!!!

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Raven85
Pip
Pip

They have arrived!!!!

Post by Raven85 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:08 pm

Ok..so yeah I'm very excited..2 babies hatched out yesterday(on day 14) and as for looking inside the nest I can see the 2 tiny mouths opening & I see 1 egg..so I assume there may be a 3rd chick hatched but not sure(I have a covered basket nest)..I'll wait till monday to really get a good look since my 4 year old will be in school...that way I can check for unhatched and/or dead babies :?

OMG those are some UGLY babies..no wonder finches prefer the covered nests..if my babies looked like that I'd keep inside too..lolol..all I could see was tiny grey fluffy..."things" that moved...thank goodness they get better looking as they grow..I'll keep you posted on the rest of the clutch.
Raven

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:49 pm

Congrats!

They are funny looking little things, but they grow amazingly fast.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:34 pm

hi raven
take a look at this site

http://efinch.com/gape.htm

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Raven85
Pip
Pip

Post by Raven85 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:07 am

Well all looks good..Ive seen both parents feed the chicks(good thing they dont mind me sitting right there with a flashlite shining in the nest)..& there are 4 chicks!!

Dale has continued to sit in the nest with Chirp just as he did all thru the incubation period..they take turns feeding..but when all the chicks are fed & they refeed themselves..back into the nest they both stay for about an hour & then feeding routine starts all over again.

It's really cool to watch how the parents feed each chick..then go to the next one so I seen that they all 4 got fed..it's really cool.

I can now hear the tiny noises as they feed..kinda like a mix of a "cheep & a hissing noise.

Thank you kenny...yup mine are as ugly as those chicks..lol..now to make some names for the babies..this ought to be interesting.

Raven

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:56 pm

hi raven
wait till they get a little older,they make even more noise

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Congrats Raven.

You sound like me a few years ago when I still had Zebras. I used to sit and watch them for hours at a time. Zebs have their faults, but you gotta love them for their no-fuss breeding habits. Enjoy those babies! :D
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~