Goulds wont lay on eggs at night

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
finchmom
Pip
Pip

Post by finchmom » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:14 pm

I have a pair of Gouldians who will not lay on their eggs at night. During the day, no problem. I dont think this is normal. Should I put a light over their cage to try and fool them into thinkings its daytime or what do I do?

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:10 am

Is this their first clutch? If so, they may just not have figured things out yet. Generally when mine won't roost in the nest at night it's time to look for fosters. How long ago did she start laying?
Hilary

finchmom
Pip
Pip

gouldians not laying on eggs at night

Post by finchmom » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:21 am

She layed a few last week, and a few this week. I tried not to peek in, but today I couldnt stop myself. The pair layed eggs in November and they didnt hatch. The male moulted in Jan/Feb. She hasnt molted since I've had her. He sometimes "hisses" at her, but a week later will be jumping up and down, etc.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:34 pm

Generally the eggs will only remain viable for 6 days or so after being laid, so if they aren't sitting tightly by then they'll start losing the eggs that were laid first. I don't have any tricks to make them stay put - wish I did! I did drape a towel over the portion of the cage containing the nest the second time one pair started a family (first time they sat well but tossed the chicks) and the privacy did the trick, but when I tried that with a second pair that just didn't want to sit it didn't work. If you find a way to make them stay in the nest overnight (other than taping the nest closed!) let me know!
Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:22 am

Taping the nest shut does not work :(

Usually when a pair does not seem keen to breed successfully, one or more of their needs is not being completely met. It is often privacy, as Hilary suggested, and sometimes nest site/location/type (a combination of preference needs and privacy needs), and sometimes mate incompatability, and sometimes diet, and sometimes enclosure type/size...etc. Most of these go back to a common theme of security. If the birds feel secure that they have a good nest, in a safe spot, with an adequate chick-rearing diet, and a good mate, they'll breed. Unfortunately there are a lot of variables and sometimes nothing seems good enough. Seeing as how the birds cannot verbalize to you what they want, you just have to make your best guess about what they might be missing, and hope you're right.

Good luck!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 am

What type of nest are you using for your Goulds?
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

finchmom
Pip
Pip

Re: Goulds wont lay on eggs at night

Post by finchmom » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:36 am

Hi Everyone,
I have a wooden box that has a privacy porch. The top can be opened to clean out, etc. I have put their nesting box in a corner, near the top of the cage, and have even put a towel on the side of their nesting box(outside of the cage) to give them more privacy. I havent peeked in but once this week.

Ive got them on a finch seed diet, with fresh greens, cuttle bone, baked egg shells, and I put 2 kinds of vitamins/minerals in their drinking water. They refuse to eat mashed eggs, no matter what I add to tempt them.

Maybe they just want it more quiet? I've got them in a cage near the backyard sliding glass door. They get sunshine through the door, and definetly are ok with the house temperature.

I cant put them in the backyard aviary yet, as they are not acclimated to the outside. (At night here its about 48 degrees). I've had them since October and have had them inside the whole time. Do you think maybe they were raised in an outdoor aviary??

Iam about ready to pull my hair out over these two. I'll keep you updated.
Thanks! Joan

finchmom
Pip
Pip

Post by finchmom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:09 pm

I put a towel over their cage to give them more privacy, and that did it. They are now laying on the eggs 24/7. I have no idea how many are in there now. I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.
Thanks!
Joan

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Good luck Joan.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~