Java Rice Finches

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Java Rice Finches

Post by vetbridge » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:27 pm

I have a pair of Javas that have built a nest and are now on eggs. I have seen some pictures of kennys Javas; very nice looking birds. Anyone else have/breed Javas? How good are they as parents?

Here they are:

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:47 pm

I don't have any but have always admired them. I'm sure Kenny would be your best source of info on this forum regarding the Javas.

Good luck!
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Boothcreek
Nestling
Nestling

Post by Boothcreek » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:20 pm

I have one Java, had a pair but the hen died laying her first egg. Other then that I just love my male and hope to get him a new girlfriend end of the summer(the breeder said they wont be in season until then).
Love the colour of yours!

Anna

vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vetbridge » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Boothcreek wrote: Love the colour of yours!
Anna
Thanks. I believe they are Cinnamons.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:54 am

hi vetbridge
if the eggs are fertile,all mine make really good parents the first thing is they always pair with the same male /female every year if given the choice which i beleive bonds them all together they can usually rear without any rearing food and the good thing about them is they come out of the nest fully feathered when they fledge and they are rarely fed by thier parents when they leave as they seem to be weaned aswell dont be frighttened if they leave the eggs for a while as they dont sit like natural finches usually what happens is the male or female who is not sitting sits outside the nest mostly to guard it against intruders ,as they are notorious fighters when they are breeding!

ken

this is 2 normals and 2 fawns still not ready to leave the nest!

you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vetbridge » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:28 am

Thanks for the info! Do you know anything about the color genetics? I have a pair of Cinnamons, and was just wondering what they are likely to produce.

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:30 am

hi vetbridge
i would imagine if they are true bred javas with no other colours bred in there genetics then i would say they will all be the same colour......but if they have any patch of white anywhere on there body ...white wing tips...even a patch under the chin they will come out pied!

there is a great website hear which i belong to and it has all sorts of info including a forum

ken

http://www.javafinch.co.uk/site/site.html

vetbridge
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by vetbridge » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:36 am

Thanks kenny. The link is great. His hand tamed Java article got me thinking. :)

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:56 am

hi vetbridge

yep its really good,and to think in places like hawaii they fly wild and land on peoples hand to get fed...we actually have them in the warmer parts of the uk where they have escaped and fly about wild ..not where i am though ! they are really hardy birds

ken