Egg Candling with pictures

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
User avatar
ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by ikhom » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Two real and two fake.
Image
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

User avatar
ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by ikhom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Double yolk. From my new hen (Green Singing Finch).
Image

ImageImageImage
Image
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

User avatar
L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Posts: 13365
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Barrie, Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm

Great photos as always Ikhom! Don't we wish we could get twins to hatch from double-yolk eggs?!?!
Liz

User avatar
lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire
Posts: 10036
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:12 am
Location: St-Hippolyte, Qc

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by lovemyfinch » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:27 pm

L in Ontario wrote:Great photos as always Ikhom! Don't we wish we could get twins to hatch from double-yolk eggs?!?!


Maybe one day we will =D> =D>
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet
Image

User avatar
L in Ontario
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Posts: 13365
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:29 am
Location: Barrie, Ontario Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by L in Ontario » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 pm

lovemyfinch wrote:
L in Ontario wrote:Great photos as always Ikhom! Don't we wish we could get twins to hatch from double-yolk eggs?!?!


Maybe one day we will =D> =D>


Yep - someone has to be first!! =D>
Liz

User avatar
ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by ikhom » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 pm

Thanks Liz,
I'm don't think this egg has any chances. The egg is not big enough to hold two chicks. It weight is only 1.38gm and the average weight for a fertile egg is 1.1-1.3gm. I also want to add that this egg was the second egg from a clutch of three laid on Oct 30, 31 and Nov 1. So, no skip of a day, but the first and the last eggs were smaller than usual (1.10gm and 0.96gm). It also shaped perfectly and not longer as was described in other post.
Unfortunately, this new hen that paired with my young cock stopped incubating this clutch and I don't have space under the other hen to fit all three eggs.
I wish I could get twins, but recently I'm loosing one clutch after the other.
Image
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

User avatar
Ursula
Proven
Proven
Posts: 2186
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:07 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by Ursula » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:19 am

Wow! Great picture!!! =D> =D> =D>
Walk-in aviary with Waxbills (6 Cordon Bleu, 3 Orange Cheek, 3 Black-rumped, 1 Lavender, ), 1 European Goldfinch, 4 Gouldians, 2 Spice Finches, 6 Owl Finches, 4 Budgies and 2 male Button Quail.
I also have 2 parrotlets, 3 dogs, 1 snake and 3 freshwater fishtanks.

User avatar
ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by ikhom » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:36 am

Here are the pictures of Goldbreasted Waxbill egg under green light. Under normal, white light the egg is too red and it is impossible to see anything inside. The egg has been incubated for over 10 days.
Image Image
Image
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

User avatar
lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire
Posts: 10036
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:12 am
Location: St-Hippolyte, Qc

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by lovemyfinch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 am

That's a great shot, we can really see thebaby taking its place in the egg. :D
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet
Image

User avatar
ikhom
Sisal Slave
Sisal Slave
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:34 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by ikhom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Liz, I tried to incubate the double yolked egg (from Green Singer), but it died at an early stage. I'm not sure it is because of my brooder, or the egg, but I took some pictures to show
(0, 1 and 2 days of incubation):
Image Image Image

I took another picture of GB egg. I'm not sure about exact day, but it is very close to hatching. (Under green light).
Image Image
The eggs hatched, now I know that they are 2 and 2.5 days from hatching. (Read more about these eggs at http://www.finchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11235&start=0).
Image
Manage your birds at finchbreederdatabase.com

User avatar
jtcomander
Pip
Pip
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 pm
Location: Torrance,CA

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by jtcomander » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:31 am

ikhom wrote:
Sally wrote:I bought a small LED flashlight, but the lens is still way bigger than a finch egg, so too much light goes around the sides. I did find I could set the egg on top of a socket from my socket set, but so much light still comes up from the sides that I don't get nearly the results you do. What brand flashlight did you get, and what do you use to block the light?

I don't think it anything to do with my flashlight. (I have brinkman flashlight.) It is a simple one LED flashlight. I covered the opening with the eye piece from my telescope. It has a small hole, so I don't get too much light. (Picture is here ) I can get the same result with a goose neck LED light, that I got from Walmart, the same kind as Janine has, but I started with this flashlight and I want my pictures look the same. I would suggest using a goose neck LED light. It is much more versatile.
Actually the picture from my last post was disaster. Too much red and you can't see much inside. When an egg gets too dark inside, it becomes more difficult to get a good picture. I would like to play and get a better result, but I don't want to keep the egg away for too long or touch it too much.
Image
Domenic,
I’m still discovering. Today I broke the egg #4 from my first post and it had a small embryo inside, so it was definitely the early embryo death.



Now...after the pictures, Check this out!"Gouldian finch beating heart" in you tube, my channel.

User avatar
konkata
Callow Courter
Callow Courter
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by konkata » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:16 am

Wow, this thread is so informative. I learned so much just by reading through it!

User avatar
charisma
Persistent Pursuer
Persistent Pursuer
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by charisma » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:59 pm

ikhom wrote:
Sally wrote:I bought a small LED flashlight, but the lens is still way bigger than a finch egg, so too much light goes around the sides. I did find I could set the egg on top of a socket from my socket set, but so much light still comes up from the sides that I don't get nearly the results you do. What brand flashlight did you get, and what do you use to block the light?

I don't think it anything to do with my flashlight. (I have brinkman flashlight.) It is a simple one LED flashlight. I covered the opening with the eye piece from my telescope. It has a small hole, so I don't get too much light. (Picture is here ) I can get the same result with a goose neck LED light, that I got from Walmart, the same kind as Janine has, but I started with this flashlight and I want my pictures look the same. I would suggest using a goose neck LED light. It is much more versatile.
Actually the picture from my last post was disaster. Too much red and you can't see much inside. When an egg gets too dark inside, it becomes more difficult to get a good picture. I would like to play and get a better result, but I don't want to keep the egg away for too long or touch it too much.
Image
Domenic,
I’m still discovering. Today I broke the egg #4 from my first post and it had a small embryo inside, so it was definitely the early embryo death.






How is everyone doing this candling without disturbing the mother sitting on the eggs? if she's not on them he is. The only way for me to get them out is to take the nest down off the cage and "roll" an egg out. Wouldn't that hurt the egg? Maybe I have the wrong kind of nest ..though I was told at the pet store to get this kind for my finches. Its the basic straw house with the big hole at the front and the hooks on the back. Any input?
Sandra~
The happy owner of one female shaft tail - Lucy
and one newer male shaft tail - Schroeder (purchased Aug. 18/11)
and one brand new creamino baby shaft tail -fledged Nov. 17th/11

I also have two beautiful cats Nina and Mindy :)


Rest in Peace Putters, we'll miss you always. Taken from us
far too soon (Sept 19th 2012) :(

User avatar
lovemyfinch
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire
Posts: 10036
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:12 am
Location: St-Hippolyte, Qc

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by lovemyfinch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:14 pm

This is where the candler comes in handy. I don't even have to touch the eggs as the neck is long. 8)
Janine

shaftails,gouldians,societies,green singers,owls,cubans, and 1 parrotlet
Image

User avatar
Ameza
Complete Clutch
Complete Clutch
Posts: 894
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: Iceland
Contact:

Re: Egg Candling with pictures

Post by Ameza » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Those of you that have gotten eggs with loose air bubbles in them, have they hatched or do they usually die early on?

I have a new pair with their first clutch and there seem to be bubbles in at least one egg.

And do you have any idea why this happens?
Image

Finch Blog in Icelandic but you can still look at the pictures :)
Tumblr Art Blog

Post Reply