Feeding the babies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Patricia
Pip
Pip

Feeding the babies

Post by Patricia » Sat May 05, 2007 10:41 am

After several attempts, our owl finches have successfully managed to bring four live babies to our lives! Very exciting times and wish we knew more about what we are doing :) Thanks for this great forum - it has helped considerably.

The new parents seem to be doing an excellent job and until a couple of days ago have maintained vigilance in the nest. The hatchlings are now 10 days old.

We've been providing them with a variety of foods to choose from including seeds, fresh broccoli/carrots and fresh egg. We've recently added mealworm (which we cut up) which they've been devouring, but are concerned since these are not the live variety (brand is Eco-Terra, sold where the reptiles are). Does anyone know if these are ok for them? They seem to love them, but one of us likes to worry to much, so am looking for some assurance :?

Thanks for any feedback

ErikL
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Feeding the babies

Post by ErikL » Fri May 11, 2007 11:27 am

Patricia wrote:After several attempts, our owl finches have successfully managed to bring four live babies to our lives! Very exciting times and wish we knew more about what we are doing :) Thanks for this great forum - it has helped considerably.

The new parents seem to be doing an excellent job and until a couple of days ago have maintained vigilance in the nest. The hatchlings are now 10 days old.

We've been providing them with a variety of foods to choose from including seeds, fresh broccoli/carrots and fresh egg. We've recently added mealworm (which we cut up) which they've been devouring, but are concerned since these are not the live variety (brand is Eco-Terra, sold where the reptiles are). Does anyone know if these are ok for them? They seem to love them, but one of us likes to worry to much, so am looking for some assurance :?

Thanks for any feedback
Congrats on the chicks. You must be proud.

I spoke to a pet store yesterday about meal worm. They said it was ok for birds but that type of food is also intended for a number of pets (reptiles, etc).

My finches (Otis and Sandra) are sitting on eggs now. I need this information as well for when they hatch.

Can someone provide us with a quick answer?

Erik

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Fri May 11, 2007 12:48 pm

My local Petco sells live mealworms in various sized containers. They are kept in the refrigerated section with all the other live foods sold for fish and reptiles. I get the minis for my finches.

Haven't fed the dried mealies so can't comment on them.
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Sat May 12, 2007 11:29 am

hi erik/patricia
i have fed the dried mealworms before and during the winter when i cant get the live ones to feed my quail i just soak the dried ones for a few minutes in boiling water and it brings them back to being a bit squishy like the live ones

ken
you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Sally
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Sally » Sun May 13, 2007 11:29 am

I have no experience with owl finches, but for Erik, Zebras do not require live food to raise their babies. You can feed them mashed hard-boiled egg, or egg bread, or commercial egg food for the extra protein. Mealworms can get expensive to buy, and kind of a pain to raise, so why bother unless you are raising a species that requires live food.