New Babies

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
Redtom
Pip
Pip

New Babies

Post by Redtom » Sat May 05, 2007 2:45 pm

I know its hard to believe but my Zebra Finchies have babies (first for me) . Zebra's hardly ever have babies (wink, wink) I couldnt see how many hatched, I think there were 4 eggs in there. I also have society Finchies and the Societies want to get in the nest of the Zebras. The Zebra Finches have done a good job of protecting the nest. Other then that they seem to get along good. I know the Society are good foster parents but I think there jumping the gun alittle. :D

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Sat May 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Congrats on your new babies!

kenny
Weaning
Weaning

Post by kenny » Tue May 15, 2007 4:00 am

hi all
just thought you might like to see my baby canaries they are 10 days old today

ken

you can always tell a yorkshireman,but you cant tell him much

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 15, 2007 7:26 am

Cuties!

tammieb
Brooding
Brooding

Post by tammieb » Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 am

Ahh they are adorable.

I hope you get some good singers. :)
TammieB.

Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke~

Rue
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Rue » Tue May 15, 2007 6:35 pm

Adorable! :D
A bird in the hand...requires some serious washing up...

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Tue May 15, 2007 7:06 pm

Adorable kenny! well as adorable as little nekid baby birdies get ;)

Redtom
Pip
Pip

Post by Redtom » Tue May 15, 2007 10:33 pm

I got a close look at my babies today, I took them out of the nest and there are 4. One of them looks a ways behind the rest of them, do you think he'll be ok or should I put him in with my Society Finches to help him along a bit. The others are look like they are ready fledge and one is still naked ( in so many words). Is it better just to leave him alone and let Mom & Dad take care of him.

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Tue May 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Personally I would leave him. He could have hatched a day or two behind the others (most probable), or there could be something wrong that's making him develop a little more slowly. Either way if the parents are feeding him I would leave him where he is.
Hilary

StevePax
Flirty Bird
Flirty Bird

Post by StevePax » Wed May 16, 2007 8:12 am

I agree with Hilary. Just leave him alone and let his parents deal with it. In time, he'll likely be just fine.

Redtom
Pip
Pip

Post by Redtom » Wed May 16, 2007 4:58 pm

Ok, It looked like he was doing ok just smaller then the rest. I leave him in there and see what happens.

Thalia
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by Thalia » Wed May 16, 2007 6:00 pm

I agree probably a late hatchling, I have one of those in my batch of babies too, she was the last to fledge, last to finish losing the black on her beak etc etc

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed May 16, 2007 8:12 pm

In one of my clutches of gouldians I had a true runt. Same age as the other chicks but VERY stunted and slow in development; once all the other chicks fledged this one was left in the dust and the parents abandoned it until I took the chick out of the nest and put it out in the open in the cage where the SIBLINGS took over feeding it (with occasional supplemental hand feedings), and I guess the other chicks finally inspired the dad to feed as well. The chick eventually died despite being well fed, probably due to congenital defect. In all my years of breeding finches this is the first time I've had this happen, so I doubt it's very common.

FLAMEonfire
Nestling
Nestling

Poor Crystal

Post by FLAMEonfire » Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 pm

:cry: I'm so sorry to hear about your baby...I too lost a little one , also the littlest one of the clutch...But in another case I took the little runt after all the others left and put him in with Societies and they DID take care of him... AND he did make it...AND HE"S BEAUTIFUL !
He's all white with a head of Grey, I called him 'SMOKE' because of the grey. He's still small but he flies without a plane [lol] I just downloaded a picture of him by a pink flower . :lol:

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Wed May 16, 2007 11:43 pm

Glad to hear about your zebra baby; I saw the photo in the forum. If the mother and father were normal grey zebras, you have a little baby girl pictured there. The mutation is called chesnut flanked white. Good looking baby!