breeding cages

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
isabella
Pip
Pip

breeding cages

Post by isabella » Fri May 11, 2007 1:30 pm

hi again
I am really sorry i am new to this forum and am so excited to have found it i havent put a post on the introductions. But i am relatively new to finches and have noticed that when people want to breed certain species-say for eg the cordon, they place them in a different cage-is this the small type wooden cage they call breeding boxes? And is that what i must do if i want to breed my cordons? Or in fact my gold breasted(we called them orange breasted waxbills in Australia). I guess i have never experienced or imagined the fact i need to place them in a breeding box or separate cage(would that suffice)/? As my firefinches are going at it from day one. Any advice would be helpful . Thankyou

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Fri May 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Isabella -

Welcome! The cage used depends on the breeder. I separate my pairs into cages that are 18x18x30 (inches), though my societies will actually breed in smaller cages. The point is to separate the pair so they're not being bothered by/bothering other birds.

Lucky you to have such a great collection of birds! I also have a pair of goldbreast waxbills - they're just now old enough to start thinking about breeding them.
Hilary

isabella
Pip
Pip

Post by isabella » Sat May 12, 2007 1:58 am

hello, thankyou.
Yes my goldbreasted male does the mating dance with a feather in his beak, as do the cordons but they wont breed with others in the aviary. In fact my cordons built a beautiful nest only to take it apart a week later and they havent tried again.