Gouldians afraid of the nestbox?

Tips for successful breeding and troubleshooting breeding problems.
jourdy
Pip
Pip

Gouldians afraid of the nestbox?

Post by jourdy » Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 am

I have 3 gouldian finches, 2 of which are female I think. I have had them since February, but I have never seen them enter the nests in the cage. The cage is 36" long by 20" wide and 20" high. I offered them both baskets and nestboxes, but it's like they are afraid to go inside. Is there a reason for this?

PICTURES!
I think male:

Then I think 2 females:

The colored beaks are a sign that they're ready to breed, right?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm

Can you post a picture of the 2 suspected females (or all three birds) next to each other and get the photo from an angle where you can see their yellow bellies? The black headed bird is forsure female and the Red headed bird (dilute) is forsure male, but it is difficult for me to say if the yellow bird is male with a lilac breast or female--the mask is almost too perfect and large to be a female's mask (though it is possible you just have a really well marked bird). They are all gorgeous birds, though.

To encourage their breeding, try housing just the pair you want to breed in their own cage (preferably 2 of the 3 have bonded as a pair). I've had the best luck with using cages which are solid on all sides but the front, providing only 2 perches, the necessary dishes, and a single nest in an upper corner of the cage. This makes life boring if breeding doesn't take place. Cuttle bone should be available, and for nesting material, my birds have always done well with coconut fiber. Try putting the male in the cage with the nest and material first and give him a few days to investigate the nest, then add the hen. Placing a light source near the nest entrance may encourage the male/pair to go inside. He may be more in a breeding mode at this point. The type of nest you provide is important and you may need to try a few different kinds to find the one that sticks. In nature gouldians are cavity nesters so giving a nest that simulates a hole deep in a tree is best, though many pairs will accept a standard nest box. Provide boiled egg crushed shell and all daily to help condition the birds, and then give them plenty of privacy. If they are compatible, they should start building a nest and getting down to business within a matter of weeks. Some birds will only breed seasonally and you may have better luck later in the summer/early fall.
Last edited by Crystal on Tue May 15, 2007 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jourdy
Pip
Pip

Post by jourdy » Mon May 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Okay, here's the closest pictures I got of them:

I'm going to try and find some coconut fiber for their nesting material.. I'm currently using wood shavings and dried grass because that's all I could find. Hehe.

FinchLady07
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by FinchLady07 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:39 pm

i have no clue but your birds are very pretty. :D
Finches:
Dot - Female Society
Speckles - ??? Spice
~a new mamber of the "Flock" soon to come!~

Hilary
Mod Extraordinaire
Mod Extraordinaire

Post by Hilary » Mon May 14, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd say the yellow is male......
Hilary

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 15, 2007 12:17 am

I am also leaning more towards male; ever caught the yellow bird singing?

jourdy
Pip
Pip

Post by jourdy » Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 am

Well... I hear these guys sing often, it's kind of an 'ugly' song right, like a combination of many small chirps? I don't see who sings however.

So do you guys suggest I get another female? Or is a male-male-female triangle enough?

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 15, 2007 12:48 am

As long as you have one male and one female in the mix, it should be possible to breed them, assuming they find each other attractive and/or don't hate each other's guts.

The song might sound something like this: http://www.finchinfo.com/audio/gould_singing.mp3

jourdy
Pip
Pip

Post by jourdy » Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 am

Thanks a lot for your help.
At dusk, I checked to see the birds again. I noticed for the first time that the orange headed gouldian at times keeps his/her mouth open as if to attack, when the other 2 are nearby. He/she doesn't really attack though, more like scaring the others away when they come too near. It was strange since this was the only time I saw him/her like that. Most of the time during they day, these 3 gouldians share the same perch.

Also, it was peculiar that the orange headed one allowed me to pet him/her through the bars. It was the first time I think that that happened. While it is true that he/she is not as skittish as the other 2, he/she never allowed this before. What is going on? Hehe.. just finding it strange.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 15, 2007 7:26 am

He's either pretty tame and getting used to you or not feeling so well; however, if he looks as tight feathered and bright-eyed normally as he does in the pictures you've taken, and if his chest feels full and not very bony, it's probably not illness causing him to be so calm.

My gouldians like to threaten each other with the open mouth (plus or minus a hissing noise) when they want their personal space, which is usually during "resource acquisition times" like when treats are put in the cage or when they are reserving their roosting spot for the night. Gouldians are not very cuddly birds.

jourdy
Pip
Pip

Post by jourdy » Tue May 15, 2007 9:10 am

Wow, great info right there, Crystal.
Your knowledge of birds are really greatly appreciated by me. Thanks so much. Now I will try to do what you suggested prior. Thanks again!

Michael
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Michael » Sun May 20, 2007 1:18 pm

My female wont have anything to do with my male either. She also repeatedly drives him off by opening her beak and hissing when he comes near. They dont fight so Im still optimistic. Since they are alone in the cage Im hoping she'll come around but am losing hope. They havent shown any interest towards the provided nesting box Ive provided. Am beginning to think that I perhaps should try it with another female

Michael
Hatchling
Hatchling

Spoke Too Soon

Post by Michael » Mon May 21, 2007 8:00 pm

Just as I was about to give up on my nesting box my male surprised me today by going inside and began rearranging the nesting material. He hasnt carried in any of the additional coco fibre Ive provided into the nest but Im thrilled he atleast has gone inside. The female took great interest into what was going on inside the nest as soon as he went inside. Neither are sleeping in the nest yet but Ive got my fingers crossed that they'll go one step further.

Crystal
Brooding
Brooding

Post by Crystal » Tue May 22, 2007 5:21 pm

Michael, if you have gouldian finches, they will not sleep inside of the nest unless they are incubating eggs (and then only the hen sleeps on the eggs while the male stays outside to 'guard' the nest). They aren't a species who likes to roost in a nest at night. Glad to hear your pair is exploring their nest though. Good luck with them!

Michael
Hatchling
Hatchling

Post by Michael » Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks Crystal. I didnt know that. These are my first Gouldians. My shafttails always slept in the nest so I was a bit surprised the Gouldians didnt at all seem interested.

Im hoping these two will eventually decide to have a clutch together.