Water feeders

Share your favorite books and links here.
wellingtoncdm

Re: Water feeders

Post by wellingtoncdm » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm

I use the same ball water bottles Anna and have great luck with them. They stay very clean and i have never had one get stuck. I also provide bath water in large saucers on plant stands in the aviaries as a back up.

atarasi
Weaning
Weaning

Post by atarasi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:52 am

Franny, I do make sure the bottles are as close to vertical as possible. Some stop leaking when I swap bottles with different bottoms and just because they fit more snug together doesn't mean it's not going to leak all over the floor or into the cage. I have a hen that everytime I refresh their water, she takes a sip, and then shakes her head and the water flys everywhere....over and over and over until the bottle is empty. =D>

Not sure why it's so difficult to find a waterer that doesn't leak. The glass tube/plastic bottom type work perfect, but they just don't hold much water.
Jordan

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Charles, I've had only one ball valve stick and when I saw the birds pecking their beaks against it in frustration I pulled it out and pushed the ball around with my fingertip until it worked again. I washed it and put it back in and no problems since. BUT, I have some birds that are more persistent with the ball waterers and are (possibly) unsticking the ball on their own if it's getting stuck.... My birds are experts with these things! :lol: However, I am able to monitor all mine (not so many birds) I know if I had more birds I might feel different about the ball waterers because I probably wouldn't have time to monitor them.

Misty, don't worry :) -- I don't ever assume new birds know how to use the ball valve waterers -- I always provide fresh spring water in a dish (and usually change it 3x a day -- yuck -- li'l poopers!) Plus, I normally provide a broad, shallow dish for bathing as well.
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Oh, Misty, thanks for the tip on the feeder! Those are going on my Christmas list for the birds as well -- would love to hand some that the parrot finches can't dig around in! :mrgreen:
Anna

Lots of Red Throat Parrot Finches, Forbes, Gouldians, BCCB's, RCCB's, Owls, Societies, and BB Fires. Plus, one wonderful 15 year old son, one wonderful husband and two rotten-to-the-core Border Terriers.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:58 pm

annague wrote:Oh, Misty, thanks for the tip on the feeder! Those are going on my Christmas list for the birds as well -- would love to hand some that the parrot finches can't dig around in! :mrgreen:
Those feeders are a must with Parrot finches - they just seem to never find what they are looking for in their dishes! :lol:

FireFinchMayhem
Fledgeling
Fledgeling

Post by FireFinchMayhem » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:34 pm

For loose water bottles through the bars, what I did was use a "loose" zip type to hold them in place vertical and not fall back when the bars a bit stretched. To change the water, the zip slips straight and stays within the bars. Then the water bottles slips right back under the zip tie.

Still haven't found an ideal option yet that can hold 200cc+ for when vacationing etc. Gravity seed hopers help for food but haven't yet found one for water.

Might be time to rig something up.

annague
Proven
Proven

Post by annague » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks for the tip on the zip ties... :D Let us know what you work out for a vacation waterer --
Anna