Cage Fronts - Information & Resources

Share your favorite books and links here.
B CAMP
Molting
Molting

Re: Cage Fronts - Information & Resources

Post by B CAMP » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 am

I think one of the cage company's sells the doors and covers for nest box openings,but i can't find it will add if remember
Found it

http://www.mortonjones.com/list.php?tl= ... ategory=49
Bill

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks Bill :) I will have to check this out too - I like the idea of the shelf material because it is coated which makes for an easier cleaning but would totally have to depend on my husband to help with everything and that is one thing he hates to do - more bird things :?

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:05 pm

Melamine faced boards over here are called 'Contiboard' it may be called furniture board in the States.It comes in 6 or 8 foot lengths up to 2 feet wide.It's ideal for cages if a bit heavy...because it's washable.To keep weight down the rear can be made of the thinner white faced hardboard which is under a quarter of an inch thick,cheap and lighter.
I've used this for standard cages and larger flight cages...you will note on the large flight cage pictured I didn't bother making sliding trays for the floor of the cage...I just made a deeper front under the wires to keep the bedding in place (Wood shavings or Hemp bedding)
By sliding a divider in place and making the wire fronts removable...I just scooped out the old bedding and then used a vacuum cleaner fitting to clean out each section.Then move the birds back and clean out the next section.
You will note on my large flight the cage fronts have no doors...(In fact they were made out of the wire floors which come with ready made cages) only those on each end...If I needed to catch birds I just shooed them up to one end using the dividers.However the front wires were made removable for cleaning.If you need any more info ...drop me a message...

Last edited by poohbear on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cute finch boy
Mature
Mature

Post by cute finch boy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:10 pm

what a great idea POOHBEAR!
Chase Austin-Paradise Birds
paradisebirdscma@aol.com
Breeder and Exhibitor of Finches and Softbills from around the WORLD!

Finches, Canaries, Softbills, Conures, Cockatiels, English Budgies, Fancy Pigeons, Quail, Emu, Rare bantam Chickens, Peacocks, Show Rabbits and Guniea pigs, Venomous Snakes, rodents, and something else im sure :)

lou
Amateur Architect
Amateur Architect

Post by lou » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi Misty,
It depends on the size door that you would like to have, The shelving that I have is 20" wide so I just cut the x-tra 4" off and brazed another wire across to make the doors. One can make the doors any size that they'd like. You can also get different size racks and cut those down for your doors. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get the rest of my bird room completed.
Lou

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:03 am

poohbear wrote:You will note on my large flight the cage fronts have no doors...(In fact they were made out of the wire floors which come with ready made cages) only those on each end...I
I do the same thing with the grates and Also the leftover sides of the large flight cages that I take apart when joining 2 together for grow out flights. A great way to recycle cage parts :wink:
Question Poohbear, these fronts are smooth on top right? The ones I have have the pegs on the top that insert into holes along the top plate (wood). This keeps the fronts very secure but not removable. but I like the removable idea. Will this only work for the smooth top cage fronts?
Do they slide into a groove?

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:18 am

On those cages Candace the wire was cropped leaving half inch on the verticals at the bottom which simply slipped into pre-drilled holes...Then held in place at the top with a removable metal stud (Arrowed) at the top.

Fronts over here are usually supplied with vertical wires extended for fixing...I make these removable by cropping the bottom ones (arrowed) to a quarter of an inch...leaving the top ones full length. Drill holes in the top wood deep enough to take the full length of these.Now the front can be slotted in top first and then dropped into the bottom holes...job done,gravity holds them in place.To remove you simply lift the front and the bottom ones are then clear of the wood,and the front will slide out.
If the wire front is say 12 inches deep...the gap in the cage body needs to be half an inch deeper.

To those on here thinking of building their own cages...get the fronts FIRST and build your cages to fit.It's easier to alter the wood than it is the cage fronts.

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for the directions, very clear... A drawing goes a long way with me :lol: ... Those are the same type I have and I had thought about cutting the upper pegs somewhat but wasn't sure and didn't want to ruin them. Trimming the bottom pegs makes way more sense #-o Just like a spring loaded window screen... I got it :D

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:34 am

CandoAviary wrote: Just like a spring loaded window screen... I got it :D
Exactly!! Only in this case held in place by gravity =D> :D

cute finch boy
Mature
Mature

Post by cute finch boy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Candace..... where did you get your fronts?

all the ones ive ordered are "pegless"
paradisebirdscma@aol.com

Finches, Canaries, Softbills, Conures, Cockatiels, English Budgies, Fancy Pigeons, Quail, Emu, Rare bantam Chickens, Peacocks, Show Rabbits and Guniea pigs, Venomous Snakes, rodents, and something else im sure :)

poohbear
Weaning
Weaning

Post by poohbear » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:45 am

If your fronts are 'pegless' you'll have to rebate the front wooden surround so you can hold them in place.We use these over here...you'll have to search your hardware suppliers in your own country for these.Picture frame manufacturers sometimes supply them to hold mirror glass in place at the rear of the frame.

MLaRue
Proven
Proven

Post by MLaRue » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:10 am

Thanks Pooh for all the pictures and help with design :) I can't wait to get started on mine

CandoAviary
Good Egg
Good Egg

Post by CandoAviary » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:24 pm

cute finch boy wrote:Candace..... where did you get your fronts?

Sorry for my delayed response. I overlooked your question. I get mine from ABBA in Elizabeth, New Jersey. How are your flights coming along?

cute finch boy
Mature
Mature

Post by cute finch boy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 am

CandoAviary wrote:
cute finch boy wrote:Candace..... where did you get your fronts?

Sorry for my delayed response. I overlooked your question. I get mine from ABBA in Elizabeth, New Jersey. How are your flights coming along?
thank ya!

flights are comming slow!!!!!!!!! been working alot! and its been raining alot here!

also changing up my design/plan a little as i go.... need to purchase 3 more rolls of wire to get going again.... yikessssss
paradisebirdscma@aol.com

Don
Callow Courter
Callow Courter

Post by Don » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:57 pm

I'm looking for some cage fronts in the U.S., can't find it on simbadbirds.com, has anyone purchased any cage fronts recently from a vendor in the US?
Stars, Gouldians, Orange Weaver, Diamond Firetails, Canaries, Blue Gray Tanager, Red Golden Pheasants, Lady Amherst Pheasants, Bourkes, Scarlet Chested, Turquosines.